• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hollywood, CA

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Tom,

To kick of a discussion to your interesting pictures, do you think to might be able to discuss a little more of your choice of technic and what a picture means to you. Pick one, unless there is some theme that, in your mind, at least binds them together.

O.K., you picked the first one for now. Give us some juice so we can start cooking!

Asher

David Bostock

Tom, I like your posted images, and I generally work the same way when I go out to do street photography. You've described it well. I don't go out as much as I'd like to, it's still a bit uncomfortable, but I get some great images...and I like shooting from the hip.

The black and white treatment, I think works best for some reason. Nice to see your work.

Cheers,

Daniel Harrison

pro member
Now here is another question, although a little OT.

What are the legal standings of street photography. To clarify, can you sell an image for commerical purposes. To be more specific lets take the photo of the trumpet player. Could you sell that without a model relase seeing as he is potentialyy identifiable?

I also think shooting in 2's would be a good idea for this work. Have you had many unhappy subjects? :)
Thanks
Daniel

Gary Ayala

Not an Attorney, but ...

It is my understanding that you can sell your work as art ... but certainly not for advertising without a release. Mispresentation and invasion of privacy is something else to look out for. If someone is on a public street they are fair game. But if someone runs down an alley or hides in a doorway with the "expectation of privacy" ... then you can't chase after them and stick a camera into their business.

Asher Kelman

Tom was a very helpful guide! I was jealous of the Pennyslvania-Dutch related Church of God leader's picture captured by Tom. However, I had grabbbed a few myself, but I love his better! Got me to finally designate the optional button for my thumb for focus. Why didn't I do it before!! Had to switch to my 50 mm 1.8 as it became dark as the 25-105 4.0 L IS couldnt get focus easily with my 5D. I'll will buy an 85mm 1.8 for next time!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Tom,

context you are right provides the clues needed for meaning.

Usually I have 18, 21, 28 or 28-85mm Distagons to cover that! I just want to improve my low light capability and the 85 1.8 is a fast inexpensive soution.

It also captures a wide scene when one simply photographs the scene from farther off.

Asher

Phil Holland

Nice work Tom. One thing I can honestly say about Los Angeles is that it's never boring.

Even in places you think would be.