• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lake Tekapo

Don't adjust your monitor. The lake is famous for its spectacular turqoise color, attributed to the glacial flour. Perhaps a bit of a post card, but irresistable to me.

1328LakeTekapo-med.jpg

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Nice shot!
Something like if the Bahamas were just down the Alps!

Beautifull New Zealand, another place to visit!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is so beautiful it goes beyond a postcard.

Also the processing you have used seems to give the picture its own identity.

This picture has obvious pizzazz and interest but stops short of spectacular. I use that word with caution, since I'm also jealous for not being there to have a go myself. Talk after all is cheap!

There are two major sets of movement, which, to me, at least, conflict harshly and arrest my satisfaction. First the winding road, perhaps the most important classic feature of interest, lets us meander and progress through interesting features as we travel. That after all is what we want out of life. It is peaceful too, a bonus.

The water, however, has its own demands. It’s a barrier as well as a choice to go with the current or go upstream and work hard but get to where you want.

The clouds point to the right as if that's the way to go to see the rest of the cut off clouds.

The latter is another issue. We want to see the rest of the clouds beauty but are not allowed.

So we have two strong movements, forward and then horizontally cutting this off and an abrupt stop either to end the journey, cross the river to the hills or go left or right on the river or bank.

The shape of the framing is not the human point of view with horizontal spaciousness to take in a landscape. If we are concentrating on something like a lone tree, then we are satisfied.

Here however, we want to see more to the left and right or lese we are robbed of the full splendor.

I am not saying anything is wrong. After all it is your vision. However, given what you have shown, I feel so interested that I want to be satisfied with more.

Now the tension that I feel might be your intent. So a title like "Choices" or such might dismiss any concerns since now I know the framework of your ideas and I can no longer request the tranquility of a pastoral and perfect postcard form the garden of Eden.

If the inspiring, demanding, super-strong but incomplete clouds were to be mostly cropped, then a lot of the horizontal conflict with the meandering path would be tamed.

Now why do I write all this on a picture I seem to find lacking? It's that this scene is so beautiful and you have introduced me to a small section of a world I have not seen. So, after this taste I want so much more.

Hence, your picture is not a casual postcard, it is impressive, intriguing and something I'd revisit since it put demands on me. So in the end, that means the picture succeeds.

Still, I want more!

Take this as only my feelings and thoughts, not teachings.

Asher

Asher,

Thanks for taking the time to comment. No answer to the critique is necessary or possible. As with all my photographs, perfection is ellusive; but it is the chase that matters. I post another that covers some of your issues while revealing new ones. Obviously, this was taken a bit later and from a higher elevation. (I also note that it has become much more saturated than it was in PSCS2 (srgb))

1328MG_1354-Edit.jpg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks for being receptive to my reactions.

This new photograph is much more active, the foreground being drawn with much more dimensioanlity and carried greater strength and importance. It almost seems alive and aminated like a large creature lying down by the water.

There are no tensions created by lack of the complete presentation of the right side of the clouds. Their shape and feeling of movement to the right recapitulates the direction of the landscape.

The water is more interesting. It no longer is a barrier but follows the irregular shore obediently.

The other picture was impressive, this one more so, as it has life.

Appreciate the extra view!

Asher

Last edited: