• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

one more portrait . .

Klaus Esser

pro member
. . of a sportsman this time ( telling something about Triathlon):

sport.jpg

Nikon F5, 85mm, TriX, scan from negative. Light was a mid-size Chimera with Balcar head and grid.
No intern diffusor so with the Balcar head set to a narrow angle the Chimera is a bit harder than normal.
The grid gives a short falloff area because it narrowes the light-angle additionally. So the light is soft only at very nerrow angle (due to the size of the light) and is much harder beside this angle given by the grid (hope the explanation is understandable ;-) ).

best, Klaus

<laughing, gasping for air> Hehehe, I do not understand a single word. May I ask?

What's TriX?
What's a chimera with Balcar head?
What is that background material? Thomson Gazelle Skin? <grins>

Klaus Esser

pro member
<laughing, gasping for air> Hehehe, I do not understand a single word. May I ask?

What's TriX?
What's a chimera with Balcar head?
What is that background material? Thomson Gazelle Skin? <grins>

:)

1) Kodak
2) Chimera makes the best (and invented it) softboxes (collapsable lightboxes) - in internal 2nd diffusor makes the light very soft and even, so you don´t have a falloff at the front-diffusor and a totally even rectangular reflex when you shoot bottles or glasses or other reflecting objects.
Sticking some stripes of Tesa or gaffa-tape onto the diffusor you can simulate a window-like reflex.
3) Balcar is a manufacturer of very fine professional strobe-equipment. Balcar was THE standard flash in fashion-photography for decades. It is still one of the best, most reliable, fastest and most compact flash-equipment for people-photography. The quality of it´s lightoutput is great and the "light-formers" they have are exellent. They invented the umbrella for strobelights in the 60s.
The lamp-heads are focusable so you can adjust from wideangle to a narrow angle without changing the reflector and a combination of reflectors/dishes and softboxes or umbrellas with the varable angle of light-emission gives a great flexibility.
3) it´s an old pick-up cloth (LKW-Plane)

(Nikon is a camera brand) :) :)

best, Klaus

Thanks Buddy!

Nikon? Never heard about such.... do you take on another apprentice?

Did no one report you to the humane society? I mean, stealing that pick up cloth from a freezing Thomson Gazelle is really cruel you know. <grins>

Klaus Esser

pro member
Thanks Buddy!

Did no one report you to the humane society? I mean, stealing that pick up cloth from a freezing Thomson Gazelle is really cruel you know. <grins>

you´re right - that was a bad doing, i went to the church and confessed after the shooting :) . The sky became dark and the clouds grey when stepped out . . and there was a deep rumble somewhere :)

best, Klaus