• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Problem shooting in "M"

Paul Mitsuhashi

Hey everyone, im new to the forum and just recently purchased a refurbished 20D. I've bee shooting with the 20Ds for about a year and a half now, and decided to purchase one of my own. I recived it yesterday and and went out to talk a few pictures and noticed various things were wrong. When i would set the camera in manual mode (M) the camera still makes adjusments to the shutterspeed. It give me no control of how i want to shoot the picture. I've been looking through the net for clues to see what it maybe, but closest thing i've found was a possible firmware issue. Also noticed that the display seems to turn off on its own very frequently. Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks

-paul

M mode issues

-snip-When i would set the camera in manual mode (M) the camera still makes adjusments to the shutterspeed. -snip-

-paul

Are you sure you actually have the camera in "M" not in A-DEP?

In "M" mode, the camera should not adjust anything without your intervention. If it is doing so, the camera is faulty and should be serviced.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Paul,

Where did you purchase the camera? Refurbished would have a limited warranty, so you may want to look at that without delay. Did you become proficient with the 20D in the past 6 months before you purchased your 20D? IOW, are you pretty sure you are setting things up properly. I wonder if you have the camera set for an exposure compensation?

Asher

Make sure you are looking at the right pointer on the switch. The circle with a line in it is not the setting marker, there is a pointed arrow indicator, nearer the front of the camera that's the correct switch setting pointer.

Paul Mitsuhashi

over the time i've used the 20D, ive learn to use it fairly well. As for making sure its in the right setting, im positive its in the rigt setting. I emailed Canon, and waiting a response from what they have to say. If they dont now, back it goes. Thanks for your input.

-paul

Jerry Kacey

Try advancing the dial once or twice more and see if it goes into to M mode....... Maybe the dial is put on wrong. You should be able to find the M mode. That wont fix the problem , but might keep you shooting.