• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Reflections of a tree in water (Fort Merksem, Antwerp, Belgium)

Cem_Usakligil

The other day, I have visited Fort Merksem just to the North of Antwerp, Belgium. This was originally a fortification with a moat around it. Nowadays it is used for recreational purposes. The surroundings have been turned into a nature area, the reason behind my photo trip to there :).

The light was far from ideal (mostly overcast) and there was not much worth photographing. So I have left after taking a few photos. This particular one I liked due to the reflections of the tree in water:

img_26367_0_154486631-L.jpg

What I'd like to know is, how you'd approach towards photographing this particular tree? Composition, exposure, lens focal length, B&W, etc? How can I improve from here? All C&C is welcome :). PS: this picture was taken using a EF-S 10-22mm on a Canon 400D/XTi body, focal length 12mm, f/11, 1/20s.

Cheers,

Hi Cem,

I love the delicate Light. I think this is a difficult one to shoot, I probably would have got wet feet and also would have been tempted to stitch a few together to be able to get the whole size of the tree in one photo. I would have prefered the forground to be water only, matter of taste of course, but I guess if the foreground is water only it even has a bigger impact for the reflection aspect.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Georg,

Thanks a lot for your kind comments.

...I would have prefered the forground to be water only, matter of taste of course, but I guess if the foreground is water only it even has a bigger impact for the reflection aspect.

I have just tried cropping the picture in order to get rid of the foreground and I guess you are right in that. It would have been a better picture if I'd go down lower and include only the water and more of the tree in the frame. But this would possibly require some stitching to be done :).

Cheers,

You're most welcome Cem.

I am a devil for such things. Lately I spend a great deal of time walking around an object or scene that I like to shoot, sometimes it can take me an hour until I find, or find not, the desired angle and view. In this case I most definately would have ended up in the water, no crocs in Belgium which is good news. <grins> Yup a few stitches might have done the trick.