• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Can I buy this please...

This is the second time now that this happened to me. <smile>

I made it a habbit to give our local historian/postmaster some of my less successful pictures, less in a way that I think they are not good enough and bring them along to discuss them. He made a habbit to add them to his collection and displays them in the office. Something I was embarrassed about at first, but not anymore.

Yesterday I went there and he was talking to a couple from CA on visit here, and they were talking about my photographs when I arrived, so he introduced me as the one who had taken the shots and the Lady immediatly pointed this one out and asked me for a large format print.

dooeyHDR.jpg

I find that very interesting, and very nice of course! <smile> It is also a very valuable lesson. Pictures that I dismiss myself can be very differently perceived by other and be desireable.

Cem_Usakligil

I find that very interesting, and very nice of course! <smile> It is also a very valuable lesson. Pictures that I dismiss myself can be very differently perceived by other and be desireable.
That makes you wish that it'd happen a bit more often, doesn't it?

I agree with the lesson to be learnt from this for sure. I have made an habit of showing my "potential keep" photos to the "laymen" before deciding for sure. I used to consult my wife a lot in the past but since she has learned so much in the field of photography appreciation (thanks to my ramblings whenever she did not comment on a picture the way I saw fit), she is not exactly a layperson anymore (LOL).

Coming back to your picture, I too liked it. Of course one could go ahead and find small "faults" here and there (such as the horizon), but that would be nit-picking. In the end, it is a very nice picture which should make you proud for taking it. Heaven knows, I'd like to be able to take one such picture myself one day <smile>.

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A Personal Point of view

I made it a habbit to give our local historian/postmaster some of my less successful pictures, less in a way that I think they are not good enough and bring them along to discuss them. He made a habbit to add them to his collection and displays them in the office. Something I was embarrassed about at first, but not anymore.

Yesterday I went there and he was talking to a couple from CA on visit here, and they were talking about my photographs when I arrived, so he introduced me as the one who had taken the shots and the Lady immediatly pointed this one out and asked me for a large format print.

Hi George,

The reason this caught attention and became so interested in your photograph is that this is a wonderful open pectoral manifestation of life's journey; perhaps the overriding symbol of mans thoughts. This is the master metaphor.

I have taken the great liberty of marking up your picture to share my thoughts. On this journey, which winds its way to the future, there are many hidden places that hide helpers and sustenance and possible risk to your safety.

dooeyHDR-1_AK_Critique_OPF_2007.jpg

The future overall is potentially bright but you have to go on this journey and know that from above there is an omnisciently powerful world that ultimately defines your fate. Here the sky writes you the message in colors from the darkest purple blue tones to the brightest pinks and white of the clouds. The latter, being fragile represent transience.

By contrast, the rocks represent stages or sign posts of progress in your journey.

This picture is neither frightening nor over optimistic. The feeling is one of reliability and openness. The landscape offers opportunity to one who would travel.

This is my interpretation of what this image evokes. Now, whether or not these values are made available to your iaware and concious understanding, they are, I believe, immediately understood in your active thinking below the surface.

On top of this, who doesn't like a well-executed landscape? In concrete terms, handsome to look out and brings us to a wonderful location for great walks and escape from the bustle and machines of our cluttered lives.

Asher

Hi Asher,

To me personally, it was just a day where I experimented with 5x exposure bracketing of my camera. <smile>

Thank you for your thoughts Asher, it is fascinating to learn what a picture can trigger in peoples mind.

See, this is the beach that I walk every day with my dog, except with winds above 80 mph, which I did as well, but you get sand blasted, not very pleasant. Usually you will find me there in all weather conditions, winter and summer. Most of the time we have the entire beach for ourself, one can walk easily 2.5 hours in one direction. The rocks always fascinate me, they look always different to me, although I know them well by now.

Compressed_0002206.jpg

This is one of my very early attempts back in 2005 when we moved here. I think it was around 50 second exposure.

jpeg_cmpr_1296194web872.jpg
[/IMG]

btw. from a technical point of view it developed from this picture which already was a HDR conversion:

jpeg_cmpr_5exposuresweb900.jpg

Funny enough, someone on a music forum was asking me about this picture as well, and wanted to know more on the details, therefor I still have the entire workflow description of this one, I just copied it in here. <lazy me, grins>

I think it was 10 layers all together, but I did fullsize screenshots to better document it there as well, if you wish to look at them, it was somewhat fascinating to see how that original RAW was a very blunt looking picture in deed. I work on 3 screens simultaneously so you have to scroll let and right to see the RAW and get the whole:

http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8964

- Taking picture with 5 exposures -1,-2,-0,+1,+2
- developed in Raw and unhook allautomatic settings such as exposure, tint etc., apply linear curve and save all 5 files as TIFF 16 bit
- Imported to photomatix and applied VERY gentle HDR settings to improve foreground, no color enhancing, did that in PS.
- Save HDR output as 16 bit TFF and import to PS
- applied a curve layer
- then added color with a filter that emulates the use of VELVIA Film
- then I selected the sky and applied a cooling photo filter with blue80 to add more to the sky
- Inverted the selection and added another photo filter, but this time a warming Filter to increase the natural look and feel of the stones and sand.
- added a saturation layer at around 25% over the entire image. Note that I changed the mode from normal to SOFT LIGHT which made all the difference.
- with the next layer I selected the sky and applied a levels adjustments filter where I dragged the very left slider a wee bit to the right.
- added another saturation layer with 25% but reduced the fill to 10% only.
- added shadow/highlights filter with settings shadow 20%/35% and highlights 15%/70%, faded the filter to mode softlight and 5% overall
- added a very gentle highpass filter to take away the sharpness of the stones
- finally I applied sharpening specific to size and printer and added the title

Asher Kelman

Art is the process, skill, esthetics and work to embed your vision in a physical form, and here's proof it was indeed work!

You finely tune your image so that it works.

But why does it impress? That's what fascinates me!

Asher

But why does it impress? That's what fascinates me!

Yup, that is fascinating to learn about. This place has another aspect for me personally.

When I did a long walk, and come back to where we started, this is the place where "Tanka" my dog and I sit for a while and have a rest. I roll a cigarette and observe the tide, the birds, and the skies.

It is my favourite spot to rest. When we are on our way back and I would say to Tanka; "Come on, we go back to "our rock", he looks at me and starts increasing his speed, arrives a good bit earlier than me, sits there and waits on me. <smile>

The first picture in this thread, when the tide is in, all the stones you see here are completely submereged. I like that place so much for that reason. There is something very peaceful about it to me. The puddle of water in the front, and the gentle slope causing the flow to start in the midsection towards the Atlantic. What appears to be static is not, everything is constantly moving and changing. Even the rocks are, just so slow that it remains hidden to a humans eye and observation, usually.

When I was leading the hectic life of a big shot management consultant, it was one book in particular that was forming my style and my approach in management, The Book Of Five Rings.

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Five-Rings-Classic-Strategy/dp/0517415283

Since more than 25 years now I think about this book and I always come back to it and find something new. It is a book about swords fight, but it is so much more, and this picture has a lot to do with this book for me....To be like water....

IaiDo and AiKiDo were martial arts disciplines that helped me keep my sanity in this sickening lifestyle. I share a little story with you that I remember well. I was a beginners student and every time we finished our training session at the dojo, and bowed to Sensei, he bowed back and the lesson was finished. On one occaison I raised my hand, not knowing this is not entirly appropriate, however, he granted me to speak and in this public situation I asked Katsuakai Asai-Sensei whether he would be willing to organize a japanese sword for me. You have to understand, I was a total newbie, and a big mumbling, shaking heads in disbelief and whispering started amongst the other much longer training students. Asai-Sensei looked somewhat astonished and smiled. Then he asked me why, and I answered, I started AiKiDo, but IaiDo belongs to it like I have two arms, a left and a right arm, and I also want to study IaiDo. He nodded and said he thinks about it.

My question was innocent and blunt, straight and had no second thoughts. I sure blushed as Hell when I realized the disapproving reaction of the other people in the DoJo.

The following week he brought 4 swords and asked me to choose one, which I did and I still have this of course, it is a long sword and well balanced. Well, no one mumbled in disapprovement anymore when he unpacked 4 swords and everyone stood around and gave me a pet on the back. <grins!> I started training IaiDo the very same week.

The powerfull and relentless tidal forces and the weather have carved these rocks like time carves a human face and leaves its fine wrinkels and lines.

jpeg_cmpr_1296151web.jpg

Once the tide is out and you can walk deep down, you find that it is a place where life has carved a niche and flourishs.

jpeg_cmpr_1316409web.jpg

This place can be as peaceful as it gets, and as violent as can be, the whole spectrum of nature can be observed over the changing seasons, this is what fascinates me so much, the power of creation and the forces at play.

An hour after sunset, when the houses on the other side are lit up and the moon appears over the bay, my dog beside me sniffing the gentle breeze, I am at peace with myself and the universe, total content...

jpeg_cmpr_1306382web.jpg

If I can manage to bring a glimpse of that peace and content to a viewers perspective, I succeeded in my attempts to capture this....

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

George,

Make sure you email her right away and send her a post card print of the picture she loves!

Asher