• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hi to everyone

Just wanted to say hello as a newbie.... joined a couple of days ago and already I have found so much new information. Photography has been a passion for several years and I find myself being the allocated "photographer" for all family functions and a majority of the trips for my son's school. I would love to turn my hobby into an income and would welcome any info and advice anyone has to offer. I realise I have much to learn!!!

Looking forward to digesting more information LOL

Mel

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Mel,

Welcome to the OPF. I hope you'll enjoy the scenery :).
Re. turning hobby into income, I do not want to dishearten you but it won't be very easy I'm afraid. Many topics have been devoted to similar discussions here at OPF, take a look around. Ask other people for advice who have been there before such as Kathy.

Cheers,

PS: Where are you from?

Hi Cem

I know it's going to be a longggg road lol but I am a single parent with no childcare and photography I can start alongside my current job and not need childcare in order to do it (meaning I can use free time when my son is at school to start with), you have not disheartened me,,,, I will probably get disheartened many times along the way though! At the moment it's something that I am looking into and yes would love to build on but time will tell :)

BTW I am from Bristol

Mel :)

Ray West

Hi Mel,

If you're from Bristol in UK, then it will be easy for you to make an income. However, it will be a while before you can give up your day job.

Ignore all the stuff about accountants, book-keeping, vat, etc. Just start charging your friends and relatives, say at 1/10th the going rate. See if they complain at paying you, see if customers disappear, or new ones arrive. Let us know what happens.

Best wishes,

Ray

Hi Ray

Thank you for that,,, Yes I am in Bristol, UK :) I don't need to worry about accountants, tax, VAT or anything like that as my Mum is an accountant and already does my accounts for my current job.

I'm trying to be positive about it and am confident that one day my passion will earn me enough to live on :)

Mel

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mel,

I have a mottos which have served me well, "Don't thnk! Try!" and "Don't tell me how it can't be done, anyone can do that; just how it can be done!"

Of course, Cem is right that you will have to put work into this, but you know that. The secret to photography, assuming you have a brain between your ears and some talent, is photography every day. Then check what you did each time and make notes.

Only a few images, but print them and use a wax pencil to mark them up: shadow harsh, garbage here, hair not in focus, jacket open and shirt messy, paper napkin in guys hand, hair in her eyes, feet crossed, dress not draped properly etc.

Just keep at it and take several sessions on lighting. Help a pro for free doing whatever, while your son is in school!

Good luck and give us progress!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Urrggg. I just spent 20 minutes responding and then hit the wrong key sending my message into no where cyberspace!

Anyway, do not sell yourself short! Price your product competitively - with only a small discount and only until you have made yourself known in the circles you are marketing to! Be professional in all that you do - buy the best business cards - professionally printed, get a separate phone number for your business, use contracts and professional stationery to print things on. You are selling images but you are also selling an image as a photographer. Make that image professional as well. Photography is more than the 19 cent prints from the nearest drugstore - it is product, but also knowledge, and image of the photographer as well. Package your product professionally before you deliver it. Set yourself apart. It is all a part of the return on your investment as a photographer - not just someone who take pictures.

Thank you Asher and Kathy for your advice :)

I have done nothing but think about this over the past few months and certainly the last few days. I am now of the opinion, if I don't advertise myself - how is anyone going to know what I can do. I must stop being afraid of "not being good enough" and get "myself out there" so to speak. For too long I haven't had faith in my ability, even though I am praised by everyone that sees my work. So, on that note, I have ordered stationery to get me started.

I am no fool and I know that this isn't going to happen for me "overnight" but I have to start somewhere. One client can generate so much business by word-of-mouth advertising, but one client won't be found unless I sell myself.

I'm extremely grateful for all of your advice and if you want to send some more my way, please feel free.

Today is a new day and I intend on making it the start of something special that I can share with many people.

Thank you again to all those who have offered me advice :)

Mel