• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cloudscape

This morning's view of the sky from the south bank of the Illinois River.

79831878.jpg

Landscape this aint, but thought it might be worth sharing. Canon 5D and 180mm macro at around f/4.5 or so.

Marian Howell

i like that you used the 180 macro for this sky shot :) i've used it for the occasional landscape as well and really like its colors. it's a form of guilty pleasure for me...

Marian,

The Canon 180 macro is on my 5D almost all of the time. I probably should be ashamed to admit this, but lately I tend to look at everything through a 180mm focal length point of view.

Georg,

Ahhh...simply beautiful! More often than not, clouds serve as background only; a minor part of the stage, so to speak. Your image is an inspiration.

Angelica Oung

Excuse me for my ignorance, but what happens when you use a macro lens for something that is far away, like clouds? What are the effects?

Josh Liechty

Excuse me for my ignorance, but what happens when you use a macro lens for something that is far away, like clouds? What are the effects?
Macro lenses, when focused at a greater distance, behave just like a normal prime lens or zoom lens at the same focal length. The only difference may lie in sharpness, because some macro lenses aren't as sharp when focused at greater distances than they are when used on very close objects.

The only difference may lie in sharpness, because some macro lenses aren't as sharp when focused at greater distances than they are when used on very close objects.

Josh, this is not the case in my experience. However, I have only used Canon's 100mm and 180mm macros lenses. Which macro lenses were you referring to?

Josh Liechty

I've heard more specifically that some manual focus Nikon macro lenses show these [lack of] qualities. However, this sort of general caution may be unnecessary any more; I don't know. My Tamron 90mm macro doesn't have any problems at infinity.