• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Eye to Eye With a Coneflower

Purple Coneflowers begin with the cone, and the petals then grow later. This flower had just a hint of petals, but I thought the cone was a worthwhile subject of the 180mm macro lens with 2x t.c. and 25mm extension tube.

It has a multiple spiral aspect. Anyone with a math background know the name for this pattern?

80188619.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Purple Coneflowers begin with the cone, and the petals then grow later. This flower had just a hint of petals, but I thought the cone was a worthwhile subject of the 180mm macro lens with 2x t.c. and 25mm extension tube.

It has a multiple spiral aspect. Anyone with a math background know the name for this pattern?
Hi Tom, while I don't know the math formula, I do know that this is impressive. But why? I think the order and sense that the importance is in the center where everything points, is part of it. There is a feeling of order, expectation and reverence.

So to me this is boosted by human comfort. That is merely how it looks to me, not some translation that should be remembered. Really it's a mystery why something like this is impressive. In truth we can just state our reaction.

Asher

Hi Asher,

Your comments on the photo were my motivation for posting, so your reaction, or anyone else's, is very welcome.

Sometimes I think the human condition might be summed up in two words: pattern recognition. Stars and clouds come to mind immediately, but suspect macro photography can help open up the other end of the spectrum.

Tom