• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Prickly Pear Cactus and Grasshopper

Identifying an insect can be difficult enough, but identifying a juvenile might be almost impossible. Anyone here have any idea what species this very young grasshopper perched on a prickly pear cactus in the upper Mississippi River area might be?

80626236.jpg

Hi Sean,

I bookmarked that sight quite a while ago, but forgot about it until you reminded me. It's very easy to use. Most of the ID photos of grasshoppers were of adults, but might still be able to connect the dots with a close enough look. I sure intend to give it a try.

Sibley needs to write a guide to insects!

Tom

I bookmarked that sight quite a while ago, but forgot about it until you reminded me. It's very easy to use. Most of the ID photos of grasshoppers were of adults, but might still be able to connect the dots with a close enough look. I sure intend to give it a try.

Hi Tom,

I would seriously suggest signing up and posting the images for ID on the site. I have done it before and will do it again. They do not have 100% coverage of expertise on all species, but they are helpful with the beautiful little ones.

enjoy,

Sean