• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What is the best way to see/compose with ground glass on a view camera?

D

Deleted member 55

It is to be very hard for me to see the screen and compose the shot on my 8x10 view camera.

There must be a better way other than using a dark cloth over your head.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Yep, you' re right, especially at the wide angles, when shifting.

But there's no free lunch; I have one of these mirrorboxes on my sinar, but didn't liked it, so the dark cloth were in use. In really bad light conditions, using polaroids might help.

Jack_Flesher

Will, there's a reason darkcloths are made in multiple variations -- they work, and with 8x10 you simply have to have one. There are some other options for 4x5, though none of them as good IMO and I still prefer a darkcloth. My darkcloth of choice is the hood style as it is lighter than a conventional rectangular cloth. Some folks like to use a black t-shirt or vest too: bottom at the GG, head inserted backwards through the neck, sleevs allowing hand access to use your loupe on the GG.

Klaus Esser

pro member
It is to be very hard for me to see the screen and compose the shot on my 8x10 view camera.

There must be a better way other than using a dark cloth over your head.

Will - you´ll simply have to learn it when using LF. As other photographers before. You can buy very expensive mirror-devices - they don´t help much - or buy lots of 8x10" Polaroids and have a field-processor for it, when no electricity is at hand or a converter for your car´s electricity . . . . . All very expensive (but Polaroids in 8x10" on the other hand are gorgeous).
I even saw a video-device some years ago which was attached to the screen and showed the screen on a monitor - upright. Well . . . ;-)

The best way is, after all, to train your eyes and your imagination to compose on your screen. "Undercover" :) . . . .

True help is a cloth, you can fix at the camera to avoid too much stray-light and also helpful is of course a bright screen.

best, Klaus

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Will - you´ll simply have to learn it when using LF. As other photographers before. You can buy very expensive mirror-devices - they don´t help much - or buy lots of 8x10" Polaroids and have a field-processor for it, when no electricity is at hand or a converter for your car´s electricity . . . . . All very expensive (but Polaroids in 8x10" on the other hand are gorgeous).
I even saw a video-device some years ago which was attached to the screen and showed the screen on a monitor - upright. Well . . . ;-)

The best way is, after all, to train your eyes and your imagination to compose on your screen. "Undercover" :) . . . .

True help is a cloth, you can fix at the camera to avoid too much stray-light and also helpful is of course a bright screen.

best, Klaus
Well Klaus,

Will has already converterd an 8x10 Poalroid processor to work on a drill motor and it is totally portable and works perfectly. Mine needs 110 volts AC still, unless Will gets to work on it too.

Now I can tell you that 8x10 Polaroid film is $200 a box!

For me it's a dark cloth and time to accomodate one's vision. Another way might be a bright modeling light on table top subjects. For people, videographers use very bright light lights. I have no idea how the actors can work with such bright light.

However, this is no way to photograph landscape, LOL!

I saw the Sinar video system and it was both elegant and expensive!

Asher

Klaus Esser

pro member
Well Klaus,

Will has already converterd an 8x10 Poalroid processor to work on a drill motor and it is totally portable and works perfectly. Mine needs 110 volts AC still, unless Will gets to work on it too.

Now I can tell you that 8x10 Polaroid film is $200 a box!

For me it's a dark cloth and time to accomodate one's vision. Another way might be a bright modeling light on table top subjects. For people, videographers use very bright light lights. I have no idea how the actors can work with such bright light.

However, this is no way to photograph landscape, LOL!

I saw the Sinar video system and it was both elegant and expensive!

Asher

Hi Asher, hi Will!

That´s great with the processor! Someone here modyfied them by drilling a hole into the side of the case and fixing a crank to the gear. Polaroid built a manually one too, i think.
Yes - LF isn´t really cheap at all . . ;-)

"For me it's a dark cloth and time to accomodate one's vision."

YES! That´s what i mean. Landscapes are THE place for 8x10" :) - and portraits too:

http://www.utexas.edu/utpress/pops/popwilave.html#spreads

best, Klaus

I haven't shot 5x4 for a while but in the field I sometimes used to wear the dark cloth on my head, holding it in place with a headband. Then when I came to compose I'd flip it off my back and over the camera. I also had velcro anchor points on the side of the field camera and velcro on the edge of the darkcloth.

D

Deleted member 55

WOW!

So many great ideas!

I think I like the TEE shirt best (or maybe a sweat shirt to keep all the light out) but I think I will need a third sleeve for a cooling fan.

Now where to get a small 12V dark room fan?

Thanks for all the input.

D

Deleted member 55

Thanks Nicolas, but not a single Darkroom fan. I have tons of 12v fans but none that block light.

Ray West

Hi Will,

Mount your 12v fan in some sort of ducting with a 180degree or some such light trap. ( short piece of plastic rainwater pipe, say, with a couple or three opposing baffles in the middle - paint it black on the inside.) (or get a Peltier device - make sure you connect it the right way ;-)

Best wishes,

Ray

D

Deleted member 55

I was just thinking, skip the outside vent just mount it below the GG and point the fan at your face, then cover the whole thing with the dark Tee shirt.

I use a T-shirt with my 4x5, the added value is that covers my neck from the burning effects of the sun when I have to stand waiting for ships to go by the entire morning -- my hat takes care of my head --

If you use a normal lens on a 8x10 it is not so bad, the worst is a 65mm on a 4x5 at night ! when the Polaroid comes is like: aha! one time I had to do that with 4 windows for a store owner and I also almost froze to death.. happy days.

Now I'm using the Speed you sent me -- thanks again -- with the view finder. I prefocus and then fallow the ships whit either the thing that looks like a football goal or the one with glass.

What I like of an 8x10 is that the scale is almost human, you have to embrace the camera, not hand held it as if "she" was a tango partner, I'm talking about the size of it as opposed to a Nikon. The photo experience is a different thing, and then, looking at 8x10 negatives or transparencies is a pleasure as well. I don't have so many -- negatives -- and I sold my G-Claron to buy the digital back, but one day I will end up doing that size negatives and scanning them at 1Giga...

Klaus, by the way, I did the CocaCola test !! but I can't post because I'm changing my server -- to get more space --, so judgement time is near...

Abrazos, Leonardo