• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Why an EF 300 f2.8 L IS?

John_Nevill

I've thought long and hard on this one and finally ordered an EF 300 f2.8L IS.

I considered the 500/600mm option, but wanted portability and flexibility. I'm hoping to make good use of the 1.4x and 2x TCs.

From what I've seen these TCs work well, anyone else use these combinations?

I know the 1.4x barely affects AF and IQ, but I have yet to try 2x. Has anyone got sample images or comments, which they might share?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
John,

I'm happy for you! I sold my 300 2.8 since I wan't using it enough. The 70-200IS covered almost everything in the telephoto range for portraits so I was satisfied. However, in shooting animals and getting rid of the wire fences to photograph birds and other creatures in the zoo.

However, I now have been following the pictures Nicolas Claris has taken of the boats with his 500mm 5.6 L IS lens.

That and my new beginning interest on photographing birds makes me long for reach of these beauties. I can say that I've seen no better lens than the 300 2.8. Maybe I'l look at the f4 IS instead.

Asher

John_Nevill

Brief update!

The EF300 f2.8 arrived at the weekend and due to the extremely poor weather I had to choose my usage moments carefully.

I can say that this lens is without doubt sharp. Even at ISO 500 on both 5D and 1DMkIIN, the images appear more detailed (5D example).

I tried both Canon converters and the 1.4x TC is a dream, there's neglible reduction in AF speed and the images are equally sharp (1DN example). The 2x does slow the AF down quite a bit, but again I was blown away with sharpness wide open (5D Example).

The lens' razor thin DOF and bokeh really appeals and provides opportunity to explore this type of shot.

As for weight, a monopod is prerequsite. I can hand hold for about 5 minutes at a time and then have to put it down.

So all in all, i'm extremely happy.

BTW, Does anyone have a recommendations on what type of head I should get for the monopod? I use the Acratech v2 on my tripod and have a couple of small Manfrotto ballheads which I'm not happy with.

Steve Saunders

Well done John. I got mine a couple of weeks back and this weekend was the first time I had a proper test of it. I was concrened that it might not be as sharp as the Nikon 300 version, but in fact it's every bit as good. There is nothing in it really, both the Nikon and Canon versions are as sharp as one another even shooting wide open. Bottom line is that I have no regrets with this lens.

Paul Bestwick

pro member
I am interested in this thread as I am planning on adding this lens to the kit around new year. I would like to do motorsport (amongst other things) & I am hoping it has enough reach. I figure on the MK3 I get 780mm with the 2X. That being the case it is probably a great lens to have. Even the 1.4x would be very useful. Lets see a few more images guys.

Cheers,

Paul

Brief update!

The EF300 f2.8 arrived at the weekend and due to the extremely poor weather I had to choose my usage moments carefully.

Congratulations. I've been eyeballing this lens for 2 years already, so I'm jealous.

BTW, Does anyone have a recommendations on what type of head I should get for the monopod? I use the Acratech v2 on my tripod and have a couple of small Manfrotto ballheads which I'm not happy with.

What's wrong with using the Acratech v2? All you need is a (replacement) lens plate (e.g. Acratech , Wimberley or Really Right Stuff) for your lens collar, and you're in business.

The benefit of a Arca type of clamp on a monopod is that the lens can't rotate on its mount when you transport it on your shoulder, and the lens is easy to remove.

Bart