• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pocket Wizards

jacob smith

I'm just doing some early homework before buying some pocket wizards.
My mind set has always been to buy something once and for life.
I know the PWs are good quality, now my only concern is, do I go with the Plus IIs or the MultiMax?
I shoot with a D200 and will probably end up buying 2 strobes eventually down the line.
Recommendations? Because I'm leaning towards the MultiMax at the moment, but if I don't really need them, I'll go with the Plus IIs.
Thanks in advance.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Jacob,

How do your see your shooting needs for the next several years. Forget for life, as transponders will be used before long!

How many flash heads will you need to trigger and at what distance. Will you be using a Norman, Profoto or other flash system with built in Wizard compatibility? Or perhaps you are using some other system, like Calumet or Elinchron which have their own radio trigger systems?

Unless you know what you are going for, just get what you must have now!

It might even be that you do not need any radio slave. For example, if you are using multiple Canon, Nikon or Metz on camera type flash units and working indoors at close distances and with no corners, then the simple built-in infrared triggers work fine.

One thing to save you worrying too much is that the Pocket Wizards are so good and popular that you can always sell them and trade to whatever else you need more.

Anyway, if you can outline your current or planned lighting setup then a better answer will appear!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yep, you're right Asher, great questions to ask myself before I get some.
Thanks.
Well, Jacob, this is a very important part of planning your equipment, so let's continue with this choice of triggering device for your work.

Here's the skinny.

1. Ask first what are you going to photograph in the next 6-12 months.

2. Then list what camera and flash setup do you already have for this.

3. Now what can you afford, or what is it worth to you in financial pain to get organized to make your work relaible and predictable with sufficent backup?

Existing gear can be sold "in a flash", so to speak! So consider doing that as an option.

If you start by these three questions and then we have photographers in almost every discipline and in every state of financial capability, so you will get practical answers.

Furthermore the question you pose is so important that a lot of photographers who lurk but don't post, will be happy to learn the answers!

Asher