• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Convincing sky?

My first picture to OPF .. It's a detail of a dam strectching out into the sea. The "sky" above is actually small waves rolling in (blending together with longer exposure). It pulled my eyes in for a second look .. what do you think?

p7036600bty7.jpg

Oly E-1 with 300mm Panagor MF

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Martin,

Welcome to OPF! Are you from Holland?

Anyway, we're glad to have you with us and that you jump right in!

Your picture is remarkable for repeated triangular shapes and mostly grey blue hues with streaked of gold in what looks like lakes between hills.

There's a horizontal ridge of material stretching for about 3 cmm or so from about 1cm from the middle of the left border of the picture. Is that the dam? That disrupts the picture, which is fine, if that is intended because that effect is not at all subtle.

If that ridge serves as the bottom of the picture and everything below (ie the lower half of the image) were removed, then the picture would become an interesting panoramic view unique in its coloring and with sufficient shape to keep one's eyes exploring.

Another satisfactory picture can be found after cropping away the left 1/3 and the bottom 3/4 cm.

Unless on is transmitting ieas of chaos, which is OK to do, an image should be only as complicated as required. Photography requires making decisions to exclude as well as, of course to include.

There is no doubt that you have chosen a great subject and found an interesting color palette. However, there is, to my eye a lack of unity of concept and the presence of disorder which is not comfortable. The latter can be a great characteristic of a massive image and maybe it will work large.

Now these ideas are only my take and discount the critique according to your own sense of your picture and what you intend.

I think you might consider some different versions. It would be helpful if the original picture was posted so we can get better orientated to the dam and then perhaps give a more helpful response.

Thanks for sharing, I do hope my $0.02 is helpful.

Last edited:
I am afraid I have set you off in the wrong direction .. I guess the English name is not a dam (don't know not what the right word is .. sorry)

So back a lunch break for a situation shot :)

p7056618b2vr4.jpg

The picture is a detail of the basalt blocks forming a wave braker at low tide, indicated with the arrow.

I value your comments however. I found the effect of the waves looking like a sky intreging but if the overall shot does not capture the eye it does not work.

Thanks for your views.

Martin

(link to full size jpg http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/4841/p7036600bnx1.jpg?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Martin,

As I wondered, the large picture does look better so I expect the print will be even more impressive.

After returning to the picture today, I'm more attracted to it and much of the apparent negatives are behind me.

That's what art sometimes does. I will be returning to this image since it is now fascinating that it is coming alive.

Asher