• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

1DMK3 sample image

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Ok, I would like to post an image from the MK3. The purpose to demonstrate the IQ, not focus.
What dimensions etc would be most useful.

PB

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It depends on the detail of the picture. Generally about 600-800 pixels wide. Also consider 100% pixel crops of points of interest that demonstrate any speical features. sRGB.

So go ahead! I'm sure it will be interesting1

Asher

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Ok....gotta go home so I will post this. Just a snap from the dock down the street from the studio.

boat.jpg

Cheers,

PB

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well Paul,

This is great! Let's have many more! Is that your boat? Probably not. Anyway, I like boats and wonder how long that is?

Thanks,

Asher

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Hi Asher,

this of course is just a snap. Ive seen some incredible work on the net that has been created on the MK3. At some stage I hope to have something half decent to post.

Cheers,

Paul

Jack Joseph Jr

Paul, not bad for "a snap"! I've always considered myself to be more of a snap shooter than I will publicly admit (oops). I also consider myself to a skeptic, not in the sense of dissing something if I don't own it or dissing it if I haven't figured it out yet. Let's face it there are plenty of those over at . . . well, you know where.

I like to be skeptical in the scientific sense of questioning assumptions and forcing them to be proved. Here is my tact on the Mark III. There is no doubt that it is a better camera than the N just as the N was, by a smaller increment, a better camera than the 1D2. I define "better" as being better for what I do which is mainly sports to be printed at a maximum of 8x10.

I've seen a lot of great Mark III work by people I respect especially Arthur Morris. My N has upwards of 92,000 shots on it so replacing it with a Mark III would be a $2500 deal at best. I've been looking around for Mark III shots that are significantly or even noticeably better than the 1D2N could have taken. So far I haven't seen but a very few. Of course if I was replacing a 10D or 20D there would be a ton of them.

My position is that if my N blows up or is stolen of course I'll by a Mark III at the currently too high price rather than a close out or slightly used N. For now I just don't see the "got to have one" in the Mark III.

Steve Saunders

1DMkII sample images for download

I've hastily prepped a html page with links to some of my MkIII sports images (for evaluation) here;

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/images/nonWingimages/Mk3samples/CanonMk3samples.htm

I'm hoping this will be of some help to people thinking about buying the MkIII.
To copy the full-size jpegs to your computer, right-click on the thumbnails on the page, then click "Save target as" to a location on your hard drive. They are all around 4mbs each. The jpegs are straight out of the camera, all I've done is rename them for my workflow. In-camera sharpening and NR was turned OFF.
I don't have time right now to put details under each thumbnail of the ISO etc. so for now you will have to get that from the exif info. When I add more images I'll try and tidy the page up and caption the thumbnails.
I won't be putting up any of my good bread and butter images for obvious reasons, just average ones for you to evaluate (ie the ones I didn't submit to the sports desk). So please don't lecture me on how I could have done this shot better, cropped differently etc. as I'm not interested.
I'll leave them up for a few weeks if the bandwidth doesn't get hammered.