• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Shoemakers

Tim Armes

Hi all,

I think I must be some sort of weird on-the-fringe photographer, because I can never find a truely appropriate forum in which to share my photos.

Anyway, this series isn't photojournalism and it isn't street photography, however I think it scrapes in as documentary, so this is where I'm posting it!

I couple of weeks ago I walked past a small atelier that makes made to measure shoes. I thought it would make an interesting project so I popped in and asked the owner if he'd allow me to spend a few hours there. He was only too happy.

Here's a taster:

3.jpg

7.jpg

Here's the whole series:

http://timothyarmes.com/gallery.php?gal=mego

Comments and critiques appreciated.

Tim

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tim,

The picture is in the right place! Here. I'm so glad you posted these two and linked to the whole series. This is a treat. I find the picture of the heel leather being cut particularly sensitive and maningful. This shows so much about care and craft. We do not need to see the man's face; the hands already tell us everything, the concentration as the fingers guide the leather through the cutting blade. One slip and both the hand and the leather are at risk.

The apparent yellow hue of the light helps unify the rough but nimble hand as the craftsman forms the shape of the heel. I am a sucker for any set of Sienna hues, (even tobacco and pipes). This set of colors, reminds me of straw, thatched roofs, corn, trees and red earth of Tuscany. So, anything like this I am already hooked!

But it's not just the colors that attract. It's the special power and care built into these fingers and the risk inherent in the work. One can see a recent cut on the mans thumb. But that's not all. There is an architectural strength in those fingers that provides a sewnse of determined control and movement to the work. This is more than just a picture of a piece of leather being cut.

I believe this is a portrait of a man!

Of all the pictures in this series, this one has special meaning. For now, I'm locked in to this very special photograph.

Kudos, Tim.

An unusual picture that has it's own life.

Asher

Tim Armes

Of all the pictures in this series, this one has special meaning. For now, I'm locked in to this very special photograph.
Asher

Hi Asher,

Thanks for your encouragement. This is my favourite image too.

What I really enjoy about creating a series of photographs is the way that they can pull together and strengthen the individuals shots. There will always be some shots that are better than others, however they're all needed to tell the story.

I'm pleased with the picture of the hand, but it would be meaningless shown by itself, without any other context. It's given the support it needs by the other photos in the series.

Another reason that I like to produce a series of photos it that it allows the viewer more choice. Often, I find that the photos that others pick as their favourites aren't the same as the ones that'd I choose. I find this interesting, since it means that a panel of photos is more likely to draw in the interest of the viewer than if I had chosen to exhibit only those photos which stood out with respect to my own personal sensibilites.

Tim

Angelica Oung

Thanks for sharing, Tim. I agree with what you say about the pictures reinforcing each other. Some of the pictures contain so many brown and tan shades they almost evoke antique sienna pictures, while remaining very modern. Kind of like the craftsmen themselves...modern men honing an old craft.