• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Early Fog

Don Lashier

Nice shot Georg! I know it wouldn't be "photo realistic", but I might experiment with basic levels or curves to bring the whitepoint and midtones up some. There's very nice tonality there - good material to work with.

- DL

Hi Jan,

nope, a 250 gr filet steak and strong mokka got me going for the rest of the day. <smile>

Hope you did not get flooded where you are, looks pretty devastating from what I saw. I remember too well how that feels, we got flooded 6 years ago, really messes up your life, apart from the nerv wrecking mindgames and fights with the insurance company afterwards.

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Georg

We're lucky we're north of the flooded areas, just fine up here, thank you for thinking of us though....

Bet the midges got you at 4am!

Yeah, eaten alive! I heard about those mobile deterrents that clear an area of 20m2 around you once switched on within 15 minutes. I plan to get one for next year. Hopefully they work as well as my " midge-massacre-maschine" in the garden. <grins> I was strimming gras and swinging the axe for 4 hours yesterday, could not have done it without that midge killer otherwise, before we cleared roughly an acre around the hosue, gardenwork was impossible to perform. Some areas like Glenveagh national park has something like 25 maschines running, they invested once the gardeners refused to work, understandably. The increase of wet and warm weather will lead to more midges inevitably.

How about scotland, did you manage to go there this year? Must give scotland a visit when time allows it, would love to photograph the Highlands, Edinburgh and so on.

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Georg

Yes, we've spent 5 weeks up there so far this year, around Applecross, Isle of Skye, Achiltibuie and The Summer Isles, I'm still going through photos from our last trip, I'll post some of them here soon (there are a few of them on my website). We go to Lochcarron & Shieldaig in about 7 weeks time.

We will be relocating in about 18 months to 2 years time, more than likely to either Isle of Harris or Lochinver area (far north west of Scotland) beautiful white sand beaches in both areas and mountainous.

Yes the midges are a terrible problem, I have on occasions resorted to wearing a net over my head at dusk, they just love to bite me around my eyes. I have allergies so can only use pure Tea Tree Oil in my hair and on my clothes, but as soon as you go under trees or into bracken they get you, also the sheep ticks have been terrible up there this year, are they a problem in Ireland?

The house we rented on the Isle of Skye had a "midge eater" nearby which worked well, it would be great if they could develop something small enough to carry with you....

The area looks very nice in deed! Just looked at your pictures.

The devices exist Jan, hava a look:
http://www.mobilegas.co.uk/caravan-camping/insect-repellent/thermacell-repellent.htm

Sounds like a great adventure to relocate to Scotland. I love the dialect, it is very musical to my ears. <smile> How are houseprices in Scotland? As crazy as in Ireland, or can you find reasonable properties on something like 10 acres with atlantic views for example?

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Georg

House prices have soared hugely this last few years, up until 3 or 4 years ago, you could buy a property in a remote location in need of renovation relatively cheaply, but now it seems that the more remote the property the higher the price! We are going to have to dig very deeply into our pockets (groans!)

Something with 10 acres and a view would certainly be costly, yes I would think the prices are very similar to the prices in Ireland, we are lucky in that the area of Yorkshire we live in is seeing huge price increases which will hopefully keep pace with those occurring in the Highlands....