• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canon NP-E3 NiMH Battery for IDs2

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
My 2 Canon NP-E3 NiMH Batteries are getting weak… despite doing refresh charging they last now about half time than when they were new…
So I did google "Canon NP-E3 NiMH Battery" and found prices from 39 (ex VAT) to 165 Euros, some are 1650 mAh some others 2200 mAh.

Of course the more expensive are the Canon.

Does anyone have any experience using non Canon batteries?
What are the risks?

Ray West

Hi Nicolas,

No risk at all, unless you buy really cheap, and the goo leaks out, or they wreck the charger. I would suggest you buy from http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=100918

I have never had a problem with them. The normal delivery to the UK is about 4 days.

Of course, Canon will probably look for any excuse not to warranty the camera, if you use non canon memory cards, battery, lenses or underpants.

Best wishes,

Ray

nicolas claris

Thanks Ray
amazing price there about 17 Euros!
I wonder if it wouldn't be better to have a 2200 mAh as this one is "only" 1650 it should last longer…

Nill Toulme

There's a fresh 1D battery thread going on FM here. It's got some Euro info too.

I'm still not convinced the aftermarket batteries are a good cost-effective bet unless you go through an awful lot of them. I'm also not sure if they've improved the weather sealing on any of them; the early word on them all was that their weather sealing was nowhere near what you get with the real Canon battery.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Ray West

Hi Nicolas,

Another good supplier is pixmania.com, or urgalaxy(Hong Kong) on ebay. But often the delivery charges have to be watched. 7day shop, 5mins sea trip for you ;-), but pixmania are in France.

2200mAh should be better, but often they just say that it's 2200.

Best wishes,

Ray

nicolas claris

I have ordered today a Delkin 2200mAh for 44 Euros, 2 years guaranty from a French webstore…
Will let you know if it works!
If I remember well, I'll have to fully charge/refresh 3 times before using it, is this still true?

PS. Ray: Pixmania has only Canon's…

Nill Toulme

You can go ahead and use it; the three initial refresh/discharge cycles can include use. It doesn't care whether you're discharging it on the camera or the charger. The important thing is to discharge it completely the first three times, i.e., using the discharge function on the charger before recharging.

Thereafter, you give it a full discharge/refresh cycle about once a month.

And I'm glad you reminded me of this break-in thing; I bet I would have forgotten it otherwise.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Steven Sinski

what you want to do about the weather sealing issue is just remove the actual battery pack from the old spent assy by the two screws at the top and just replace that portion. then generally you get the same fit. takes mere minutes

Michael Fontana

pro member
Nicolas

so how is the Delkin working? How many mAh?
the mines are getting weak as well.

Canon wants 220 € here, aka 280 $ for the original.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Someone is getting easy money, here; tax is at 7.6%!
Switzerland and cows: I feel like one of these ;-)

Anybody has the quenox QX-CE3, with 1650 mAh, in use? It has the lock-function as well!

nicolas claris

Nicolas

so how is the Delkin working? How many mAh?
the mines are getting weak as well.

Canon wants 220 € here, aka 280 $ for the original.

Bonjour Michael

Delkin 2200mAh for 44 Euros, 2 years guaranty from a French webstore…
… and it seems never ending!

For safety during shoots session I had to recharge that new battery, but never got it zeroed… even after hundreds of shots…

Sealing looks as good as the Canon's…

I did fully charge/refresh 3 times before 1st use…

Michael Fontana

pro member
Merci bien, Nicolas!

As I live a km from the french border, I' ll try to get two of them from France.
Here, they' re twice the cost. Funny globalization-tale....

nicolas claris

It's always a pleasure Michael!

I ordered mine there

If you buy 2 they're only 38.50 € + VAT each… delivery included.

Unfortunately, they deliver only in France…

Michael Fontana

pro member
It shouldn't be a problem, as a compatriote à toi lives in the same house, as I do.
And yes, I'll get two of them, as I bought additional CF- & SD-cards recently.

Interesting though, that from the two original (Canon) ones, one is still kinda fine, but the second is a lemon.
I had been threatening them in exactly the same way, with 3 x charge/uncharge at the beginning, too.

nicolas claris

On my side, interesting to note that the two I had, one was the spare of my previous body 1DS (got it new with the cam when it first when out on the market) and the other came with the 1Ds2 2 yeras later.
I used them alternatively and they both went weak the same week…

I bought only one new, fortunate as they won't fit the 1Ds3 (I read there are different batteries)

Ray West

NiMH batteries have a 'memory' similar to, but not as severe as Nicads. You need to deep discharge them fully (Not down to zero, but to 1v per cell), a couple of times every so often, and then treat them as new - i.e. 2 or 3 discharge/recharge cycles. Some chargers have this facility built in, I'm not sure about the canon one. A decent NimH charger is quite complex in operation, and can be fairly expensive. If you over discharge them, you will shorten the life. Of course, wrt canon, it would be in their best interest to damage their batteries by supplying a charger designed to do so.

There is a useful Sanyo publication - Sanyo Cadnica Sealed Type Nickel-Cadmium Batteries Engineering Handbook, SF-9785ND - if it is still available. I do not think it is available on the web, unfortunately, although a few quotes are - mainly concerned with soldering tags (don't).

Best wishes,

Ray

Don Lashier

I can't put off replacing my original 5+ year old batteries any longer but after reading threads on FM and photonet I got scared off from anything other than Delkin. I just ordered a couple on ebay for $30 each ($78 total for 2 with shipping). I just couldn't see spending $250 for a camera that's worth less than $1k. Will report back.

- DL

nicolas claris

Hi Don
you shouldn't have any problem, the one I ordered and is fully statisfied with is a Delkin 2200mAh… (44 Euros± 60 Dollars!)

nicolas claris

A short report:

After a bit more than 2 months of use, the Delkin 2200mA stills "produces" a lot of juice.

But time to time this last week, the camera stopped working… (shut off)

I realized that the locking system were not so tight than the Canon's.

So I did take one from the old Canon battery (2 screws) to replace the Delkin's and it works now like a charm… better know it before you lose some pic… (and of course THE good one).

The locking pin is not designed exactly identical…