• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Gale-force outing

First of all, I'm not sure where to post this, as it's neither "street" photography, nor "travel" photography, and it's spontaneous (read: technically speaking a really terrible photograph). I would, however, like to share this image with you: At Dana Bay (Cape coast, South Africa) a spectacularly strong wind started blowing, and as everybody was warm and secure in their houses, my 11-year-old kid brother and I decided to go out for a photo outing.

It was a lot of fun trying not to get blown away, and difficult to hold a camera. This is a quite sparsely populated area, and it was a magic feeling being out there with no other person in sight.
It was already quite dark, so much so that even ISO3200 was basically no use, but I tried to capture how windy it was, and this was the result:

Gale_by_philosomatographer.jpg

I guess something else I'm saying through this image, is that we should not be scared to go out, even in really adverse conditions, and enjoy our cameras. They are, in money terms, among the worst "investments" we'll ever make, but they can drag us out in terrible weather, or early in the morning, or at midnight, and enrich our lives. Just ensure them!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm not so sure this image is so un-good! In fact Dawid, it has some awesome in it. I'm not sure of it. I'd love Ben Lifson to comment on this.

It is what it is, a moment in the midst of bad weather? Or is it more?

Who is the person?

Asher

BTW Did you protect the camera with a plastic bag, at least?

Well, I guess there can always be "more" than just the moment... It is a snapshot of something that happened, so it is, in effect, "everything" too...

This is my young brother, whom I get to see every month or two when I go down there. We have a very close relationship, I think he idolises me quite a bit. I got him into photography, and I sold him the 350D he's holding for practically nothing, bought him some lenses, etc. He has exceptional mastery over a DSLR for an 11-year old.

We always have special outings together, just the two of us (though sometimes the two Bassett hounds tag along) and he's a very cautious (often worrisome) young fellow - so much so that this image also signifies the trust a young brother has in his older brother, doing something he'd never do on his own.

What I personally like (visually) about the image is the wispiness of everything that is blown by the ferocious wind, it has the look of the world Frodo sees when he puts the ring on in the Lord of the Rings films. Yet everything is not shaken/blurred completely out of recognition. I considered a monochrome rendering.

Put a plastic bag on a 1D MkIIN + 28-300L combo? Never!

(well, actually, I would, but there was no rain here)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Dawid Loubster said:
This is my young brother, whom I get to see every month or two when I go down there. We have a very close relationship, I think he idolises me quite a bit. I got him into photography, and I sold him the 350D he's holding for practically nothing, bought him some lenses, etc. He has exceptional mastery over a DSLR for an 11-year old.

Any of his pictures interesting?

Dawid Loubster said:
Put a plastic bag on a 1D MkIIN + 28-300L combo? Never!

(well, actually, I would, but there was no rain here)

How long have you had that lens and what do you use it for? Seems to be good for runway shots of fashion because one needs both wide and long shots in rapid succession sometimes.

Asher

Hi Asher,

I have had this lens for about 2 years, and since I carry my EOS 1D MkII N around with me all the time as an opportunistic camera, it has proved itself indispensable to me. Because of the fantastic range of focal lengths, it of course feels limited in other ways (design compromises...), but once you get yourself really comfortable with how to get maximum image quality out of it, it is really good. Apart from having particularly effective Image Stabilisation and weather sealing, I do think it is an optical marvel, and quite a creative lens - it has really good bokeh (surprising for this type of lens) etc.

If I could carry a case of lenses with me all the time, of course I would not necessarily use this lens, but I absolutely adore the lens for the capability it gives me, and it will have to be pryed from my cold, dead hands. I find the only other lens I need is the EF 100mm F/2.8 Macro, although the old Tokina 800mm f/8 lens I wrote about is really starting to grow on me (see that thread for updates and better test images soon).