• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

5D or Mark III?

John George

I've been using a Rebel XT (350d) for years now, but I think it's time to upgrade.

The Mark III is so incredibly tempting, but I really want a full frame sensor. Any opinions?

Nill Toulme

Welcome John!

Opinions? Yes, thousands of them, all deeply and fiercely held. ;-)

There's a lot to be said for full frame, and you have two extremely good choices available there in the 5D and 1Ds Mark II.

But... I think you will be surprised at the difference between your present 1.6x crop factor and the Mark III's 1.28x (or a Mark II's 1.25x). The latter really represents a very nice compromise between FF and the more severe crop factors. A little extra reach, staying in the "sweet spot" of most lenses, but wide is still fairly wide, etc., etc.

You will also be surprised at the size and weight differences between what you're using now and any 1-series. ;-)

You need to hold and handle all of these cameras before you make up your mind. If you can deal with the size and weight, easily your best bang for the buck at the moment would be a good used 1D Mark II at about US$2k.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi John,

Glad you have the Rebel XT. That alone is an excellent camera and I'm sure more than a few professionals have one as a backup at least. The XTi is already a major technological advance. If not for the more expensive cameras above it, we'd think that a miracle, especially with f2.8 and better lenses.

In fact if you have not already acquired fast lenses, the combinations of the Rebel XTi with the 35 1.4L, the 50 1.4 or the 70-200 L IS are awesome as the central focus point is active and accurate (need at least f 2.8).

Factors to consider include:

• task
  • density and quality of pixels (large prints)
  • need for fast focus and many frames in the buffer (sports action scenes, boxing, hockey, animal hunts etc)
  • need for protecting the highlights and shadows to the max (Weddings, serious street photography, fashion)
  • telephoto tracking ability (sports, birds and wildlife)
  • detail rich wide field of view scenes (landscapes, architecture, very large group pro portraits)

These are only relative limitations to the skilled photographer. The 1D and for sure the 1DII or 1DIIN are perfect money-makers for sports and wild life photography. Stiching can solve the field of view issue or else the use of special lenses such as shift or other 3rd party (Olympus, Nikon, Zeiss or Leica) lenses.

Tracking is the most difficult to make up in human skill for the help of the superb electronics of a 1DII which as Nill points out you can get for $2000-2200! That's a steal!

I have both the 5D and the 1DII.

I am waiting on the 1DIII but if I might have an evening event in August, so then perhaps I'll get one earlier than planned). :)

The 5D is perhaps, apart from the Pentax Spotmatic with a 50 mm Supet Takamur lens and the Leica M8 with the 28 mm Summicron, the most enjoyable camera I've used.

The 5D is so light, that adding the 15mm fisheye, the 70-200 f4L was a perfect travel combo with the 24-105 L IS and enable me to cover all sorts of subjects all over Europe last year. I must admit that the 21mm 2.8 Distagon was used for special landscapes and the 5D delivered!

For street photography with, for example a EF 50. 1.8 or 1.4 you feel you can hold the camera all day. It's one-hand holdable, effortless!

I now use it with the 50 1.2L and they make a perfect combo for portraits in doors in a shop with window light or in the evening. Spending less on the body allows one to go luxury class in the lens.

Now if you can swing both the extra $2000-$2500 to get the 1DIII then better have the lenses to go with it. Unless you can have have a long L lens, why bother?

If you are a Pro, for sure you have a collection already.

So maybe look at

• what need to do better with your own photography,
  • what lenses you would need to meet your goals before deciding on the camera.

So what do you have as needs and resources?

As Nill says, hold the cameras!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
I vote lenses over bodies

I'd rather spend money on lenses. They last almost forever (well let's hope) but bodies are more disposable needing replacement more frequently. I spent my money on the 5D and I am not unhappy. I am waiting until the 5 will pay for the next generation of camera for me to get another. I also love the full frame sensor.