• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

US Surfing Open, Huntington Beach

1: Catapult:

178392167-L.jpg

2: Horizontal Balance:

178392338-L.jpg

3: Wave Rider:

178392435-L.jpg

More here: http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/3222821

Final entry for the "Surf" challenge

Wave Rider

180451647-O.jpg

I've concentrated on the action part of the shot, tilted the crop a tad to enhace the dynamics, adjusted the water color to make it more pleasant looking, and finally applied some intensive sharpening to emphasize the rage of the surf.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nikolai,

I especially like the unaltered "Wave Rider" as it is beautiful with successive waves like in a girls hair, a mass of energy on which this boy rides. It also happens to approximate the rule of 2/3 placing the surfer correctly, not that I like any rules or respect this one always. Here, that image works and is finely made.

The final rendered version of this is more edgy and although it is driven by a special vision which would work for the uninitiated, I have already fallen in love for the softer version and am too loyal to change my mind!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nikolai,

I especially like the unaltered "Wave Rider" as it is beautiful with successive waves like in a girls hair, a mass of energy on which this boy rides. It also happens to approximate the rule of 2/3 placing the surfer correctly, not that I like any rules or respect this one always. Here, that image works and is finely made.

The final rendered version of this is more edgy and although it is driven by a special vision which would work for the uninitiated, I have already fallen in love for the softer version and am too loyal to change my mind!

Asher

Nikolai,

Asher

Ahser, thank you very much for commenting!

Yes, I like the original version, too (btw, it's a girl:), it's horizontal movement...

The reason I recropped was to bring more attention to the foamed breaking waves, the surf itself.

Also, I learned from a bitter experience that "soft" often does not cut the cake, so I decided to play my tune a bit louder. ;-)

Think of it as a SoCal rendition of The Great Wave :)

Cheers!

He dreams of Huntington beach

<grins> He dreams of Huntington beach already. I was testing the continuous shooting mode on my E1 when I got it.

.....Then he made me promised to help with his dream of Huntington Beach....

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
He get points just for trying

He gets points just for trying in the cold waters in Ireland. Brrrr. Huntington Beach is nice, as are many others in California. He ought to be dreaming of the Maui Coast or North Shore in Hawaii, That's really something! I wasn't taking photos digitally when I went last to share.