• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cowe Week - Friday Firework Night

John Harper

Hi There

I post below 4 shots taken from yesterdays Cowes Week closing firework display. This display generally attracts a crowd of around 50,000 all packed in and around the port of Cowes on the isle of Wight. It is the ending of the world famous Cowes Week Yachting regatta.

Hope you like them comments and critiques welcome.

Tech info

EOS1DMKIIN EF24-105F4L @ 35mm ISO 400 2.5" @ f11-F16 Camera was tripod mounted and shutter was tripped by remote release cord.

John

cowes1.jpg

cowes2.jpg

cowes3.jpg

cowes4.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

...Hope you like them comments and critiques welcome.
Hi John,

You bet I like them, a lot. I especially like the fact that the water and the boats with people on them are also visible as well. Gives a better idea about the setting and the scale.

Thanks for sharing the technical details. Will use them as a starting point the next time I shoot fireworks.

Cheers,

Ray West

Hi John.

As Cem said, thanks so much for sharing these images, and the settings. Now, knowing your constant striving for improvement, how do you think you can best these?

Best wishes,

Ray

John Harper

Hi John.

As Cem said, thanks so much for sharing these images, and the settings. Now, knowing your constant striving for improvement, how do you think you can best these?

Best wishes,

Ray

Hi Ray - Cem

Thanks for the positive comments and i am happy to share them with the forum users. Firework photography is something i have been keen on since my interest in photography was rekindled when i went "digital" in 2003.

I do tend to find its a case of trial and error though as the brightness of the different fireworks varies greatly and i am trying to avoid the highlights blowing out completely. But at the end of the display when they have the grand finale and lots are let off at the same time its almost inevitable that the highlights blow. Shooting RAW does help and gives you some latitude in the exposure and the ability to pull some detail back and independently tweak the colours.

I would like to get some more of Cowes and the large crowds of people in the shots but its very difficult to get a good vantage point, as the barge that lets them off is quite a way out in the water.

Still there is always next year :)

John