• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

1Ds Mark II vs 1DMarkIII

Jonathan Hutt

I just picked up a 1DsM2 pretty much brand new (3 months from purchase, only 200 clicks, literally spotless). Got it at what I thought was a great price.

That being said... I shoot 70% low light events (weddings, bar mitzvahs, corporate etc), and the remaining 30% is a mix of rock climbing action, landscapes taken on climbing trips, and the occasional portrait session.

I'm coming from a 30D so obviously either the 1DsM2 or the 1D3 are both fantastic upgrades from what I was shooting. I have a nice little collection of L's (and a 17-55 IS that will have to go now :( )

My question is this... did I screw up and buy the wrong camera? From everything I can see, I did. 1D3 is lighter weight (great when I'm already carrying 30-40 lbs of climbing gear), smaller files (and sRAW which looks VERY cool) because I don't really do anything larger than 16x20 (which even the 30D handled just fine), etc...

Any ideas or input? What's the going resale rate on my 1DsM2? Do you think there's anybody out there who'd be willing to trade a 1D3 (plus some cash) for my camera?

And of course, as I promised you Asher when I first joined... some climbing pictures! (Courtesy of 30D, this trip was a couple weeks ago)

1214571105_a17404bb69.jpg

My brother... currently in Ecuador for the summer setting the climbing routes for the World Cup at the end of August

1214571227_ec33df1128_o.jpg

My brother's best friend, a climber on the Ecuadorean national team, and all-around nutcase

1215434852_9cf6aa4252.jpg

Little old me, about 30 feet above the water level, moments before taking the plunge. (Poor quality, sorry - shot on Sony P&S)

Last edited:

Jonathan Hutt

Nill,

Sound reasoning.... very hard to argue with that. I would lean towards the 40D because of the weather sealing.... important when out in the woods. However, I have a very large 4-digit hole in my pocket right now capable of 16mp. Even worse, only a very short while after buying it, I'm realizing I don't want it. (Wow. I just said "I don't want my 1Ds MarkII" - that may be a first for the world.) What I meant to say was, it may not be the right camera for me right now.

Back to my original point... I don't even want to use it (it hasn't left my living room) for fear of scuffing it up and raising the shutter count when I'm 98% percent sure I want to sell it, yet the 40D isn't out and won't be for a fair bit, I'm leaning away from the 5D for a couple of reasons (still has very large RAW files, no real weather sealing... I've got my 30D for that). And I need a replacement body within the next 2-ish weeks, so it looks like it's time for a 1D3. And so, in conclusion... I think it's time I tossed it up on the good ol' B&S. :::Sigh::: The camera I've dreamed of owning for most of my photographic career... and I haven't even taken 30 frames on it. What shame.

Now accepting all offers for sale or trades for your 1D3 plus some cash. Will also entertain trade offers for a minty 5D.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks Jonathan for the great pictures! You are keeping your prmise. These are great pictures of ropeless climbing. Are you putting in pegs for other climbers to tie to?

The !Ds and 1D series cameras are great weapons when swung correctly, but apart from that, the 5D and 40D are lighter and the file sizes are all one generally wants for backpacking and I'd imagine climbing too!

The 1Ds MarkII is however real currency today and rtight now is worth a lot of $$$. So you haven't lost. For climbing, you might review what angle od view you need and then what lens might achieve that. If you really need wider angle to get spectacular viws, go for the 5D. If you want to photograph birds in flight, choose the 40 D since you will get extra reach...and some weather sealing too.

Asher

I have had my 1DMkII for almost 3 years now (since Oct 2004) and I am still very happy with it's performance and capabilities. Sure, the gadget boy in me want the new 1DsMkIII, but I am a realist... The shots I am producing now are better for the extra experience and ability of the camera, helping me stretch my own skills continually. With the addition of having a full frame sensor for your camera...

If you can carry the weight and learn the camera, you are onto a winner.

Steve Saunders

If 70% of your work is low light, then the 1DMkIII is currently the best low light DSLR you can get. Of course the Nikon D3 will soon fix that...