• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Living in Saudi

KrisCarnmarker

This may not be all that exiting, but since I just dug out my pictures for two other threads I thought I may as well post them along with the story of me arriving there.

While being rather bored at my job, I received a call from a headhunting firm asking if I would be interested in moving to Saudi Arabia. Not exactly the first place that comes to mind if you are considering moving abroad. But what an opportunity to experience first-hand one of the most foreign cultures I could think of. So, on 9/11 2001, at 09:00 GMT+1 I signed the contract. Of course, just a few hours later the tragic attack on WTC happened. Boy, what timing. Not being the type who ignores a signed contract, I went anyway.

After a rather long trip from Stockholm to Dammam, KSA I end up in a very long queue at passport control. After almost 45 minutes in that queue, I'm second from the top of the queue, and the immigrations officer packs up his stuff and leaves. Oh well, back to the end of another equally long queue. Finally through immigration, I am taken to my hotel room in Al-Khobar by a company driver. Aaah, finally I can relax a bit. I turn on the TV, dial in CNN and what do I see? A bombing in Al-Khobar. Welcome to Saudi Arabia :) This was a couple of years before the latest round of terrorist bombings in the Kingdom and the bombing that night was apparently caused by alcohol smugglers trying to eliminate the competition. Well, at least they were not targeting me, unlike they would later.

My first compound was a real disaster. On my first night, I was violently awoken at 5 AM by what I thought was somebody with a bullhorn in my bedroom. Turns out it was the five (!) minarets surrounding the compound, each one trying to outdo the other in loudness. After speaking to the housing rep in the company, I was moved to the compound from which the following images are taken.

Now, having been given a list of what NOT to bring with me, I knew that a camera was a no-no. Too bad, because I just bought a new camera after several years hiatus. So unfortunately, I don't have all that many pictures from my time there. However, I did buy the small Canon S40, and that's where these snaps come from. I would never take photos in public though.

The compound, although too socially quiet, was beautiful.

villasentre.jpg

A view of the villas from outside the clubhouse

beach_pier.jpg

In the other direction, view of the beach. This is the Persian Gulf

clubhouse_int.jpg

In the summer heat, this is where you cool off :)

pier1.jpg

The pier

KrisCarnmarker

more...

pier2.jpg

Out on the pier

pier_desal.jpg

A not so nice view from the pier; the desalination plant.

Unfortunately, this desalination plant attracted enormous amounts of jelly fish in the winter months, which was the only time it was cool enough in the water.

pier_causeway.jpg

A view of the causeway to Bahrain, the haven of normality for us westerners :)

A couple of years later, the terrorist bombings started, and protection was afforded all "expat compounds". However, this protection was mostly for show. First of all, several terrorist dressed up in the abaya (the female head-to-tow covering) in which case the guards would not even approach them. Second, several top officials in the military are sympathetic to the terrorists.

protection2.jpg

"Driveway" up to the gate.

KrisCarnmarker

protection.jpg

Heavy caliber protection

One of the unique advantages of living in Saudi was access to virtually untouched areas of the Red Sea. I had heard a lot about the beauty of the Red Sea, but growing up by the Caribbean in Venezuela I was not prepared for the extraordinary variety and abundance of marine life. The joke about the dive spots in Israel or Egypt is that there are more divers than fish :) Not so in Saudi, as there is no tourism and exceptionally few locals dive.

While many trips were dives off boats, you could simply go to the beach and have a fantastic experience.

IMG_0624.jpg

The beach at Al-Bilad Hotel, Jeddah

IMG_0628.jpg

Buddy check

KrisCarnmarker

IMG_0565.jpg

The Turkeyfish's spines are needle-sharp, and highly venomous. Apparently spinal wounds are agonizing. Em...maybe I shouldn't have been so close.

IMG_0589.jpg

Ventilation?

IMG_0619.jpg

Reef Stingray. Again, I'm probably too close as these are also highly venomous. Look at those Evil Eyes!

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Kris

Really nice to be able to have a look into your world, I particularly liked the dive shots, don't get so close next time!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Kris,

This is a treat, I get the idea of the place. What happens if one does have a tiny black camera in the street? Aren't there buses of tourists? I can't imagine tourists with no cameras!

Does foreign press get to have cameras?

What's the penalty for using a camera on the street?

Is there no street photography or is it only for selected Saudi photographers?

Asher

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Hey Kris,

these photos are a nice peek at life inside another very different culture.

I reckon that if I went there, I could easily take photos & not be noticed. How you say ?...... easy. I would use my 300 f2,8, the locals would think it was a rocket launcher, similair no doubt to the type owned by most families.
Therefore, I would blend right in.... just like a local.