• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

wishful thinking ...

ok after all the moaning some things that i would like to see on future cameras:

• no picture style or DP button anymore
  • viewfinder status display turns red when MLU, selftimer oder iso>800 is activated
  • full resolution crop of the aera around the selected focus-point is saved and can be viewed on the display to check focus
  • -

one more crazy idea: a second shutter-release button next to the primary one, this one has it own settings, for example different ISO and drive mode.

what about your (realistic) wishes?

Jack Joseph Jr

Do have to go over this again?

ok after all the moaning some things that i would like to see on future cameras:

• no picture style or DP button anymore

• If you're trying to be purist forget it.

RAW files don't have pictures in them. You have use software to decode the data. Every application has its own idea of how an image should look. The company's preferences and, let's face it, their skill at writing code without trampling on someone elses property defines the look.

The marketing people at Canon call their software's versions of how pictures should look "Picture Styles". In reality Adobe, Bibble and Phase One each has one or more pictures styles. They just don't give cute names to them. Even if you decode Neutral using RIT that is in fact a picture style.

Unless you shoot film you cannot avoid someone's software picture style. And, if you do shoot film isn't Velvia really a picture style?

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
A Rose by another name

Rachel,

The Rebel has better than built in telephoto. It's called an interchangable lens! You can make it be what ever you want it to be. You might have the 18-55 kit lens that came with it but you can buy a longer lense that works - or you can "zoom" with your feet and just get closer into the subject.

Or you can also fall in love with photography and always have just one more thing to wish for that would make it that much better. That's why there is so much barely used gear for sale among the photo forums. Everyone is looking for that piece of magic - lens, body, software, lighting, props. I think that heaven for most of us would be like the very old show called Supermarket Sweep where you had 10 -15 minutes to take what ever you and your partner could take in the grocery store. The team who grabbed the amount with the highest cashier total won those groceries. My store is B&H camera! A 10 - 15 minute spree of whatever you could take would be just fine for me.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
My store is B&H camera! A 10 - 15 minute spree of whatever you could take would be just fine for me.

Unless you have to queue at each counter as I did when I came down there a year ago!

Magic store BTW… now it happens me to order thru their website.

Your story remind me when I was a kid ('bout 8) some decades ago, my parents where not rich at all (to say the least) and my Mum found a job that was really strange to us:
She worked for an oil company (oil for cooking, not for cars!), her job was to drive in the country, stop by a small grocery shop in any village, check if any of the women there where having in their basket a bottle of the famous brand (the bottle could be new or empty old one, this was the time each one did bring the empty bottles back to the stores…), then the wining person, had 5 minutes to take all they want, the oil company paying the bill.
Then my Mum had to take a picture with a "Brownie Flash" (yes that Kodak black cube camera!) and send the pic to the local newspaper…
There were no competition, you just had to have that famous bottle in your basket.
These times where really tough for poor people (they still and always are!) so my mother, each day went to the grocery and told the owner, I'll come back tomorow, just check that there's someone with the bottle, but someone that really need it! Of course this was not included in the contract.
One day she had been caught (a grocery owner called the oil company) and my Mum have been fired…

The amazing, but in fact "normal", thing is that the women who won, took "first need" food, like rice, sugar, beans, pastas etc...

Rachel Foster

I've heard of your store, Kathy! How about that? Ha!

I'm just wishing I didn't need to buy another lens (after the outlay for the Rebel). I was looking at recommended telephotos for the Rebel and they seem to be in the $300 and up range.

another thought that came to mind: how about putting the gyro sensors into the body instead of the lenses. Couldnt that make the IS-lenses cheaper?

I would like to be able to zoom into the preview of an image and get a histogram of just what is in the zoom. Then I could zoom into faces and check the exposure is right during the shoot.

Kevin Elliott

another thought that came to mind: how about putting the gyro sensors into the body instead of the lenses. Couldnt that make the IS-lenses cheaper?

Some manufacturers do this, then you don't need IS lenses. Canon don't seem to want to, probably because they're committed to IS in the lenses.