• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

my 2 cents

just got my 40D a couple of days ago, and thought i'd toss my humble opinions out there. so far, i am impressed with this camera. operationally, it's not a big change from the 30D, but the IQ is far superior. in just a few test photos, i've noticed a visible improvement in color tone, color depth, and an overall look of smoothness and richness that the 30D just can't match. i got some absolutely stunning shots with my 30D; i am definitely looking forward to even better results from the 40D. i can look up stats all day long, about pixel pitch and shadow noise and so forth, but from a purely practicaly, "Mk I eyeball" perspective, what i see from the 40D is significantly better than what i saw with the 30D. is it as good as the 5D, as some pundits claim? who knows? in a field as subjective as photography, where everyone's perception of light, color, image quality, etc., is just a little different from everyone else's, it's tough to say. what i do know is that if the 40D produces images that compare favorably with the 5D, AND gives me the added reach of the 1.6x crop factor and the added speed and flexibility of the Digic III processor, all for $1300, i'd be a fool to drop twice that on an outdated 5D!

Tom Aellis

Hey Winston...

I checked out your site. You have a wonderful talent and eye.

I just got my 40D as well. And, I really quite happy.

Best,
Tom

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Some interesting observations Winston. I would have thought that the 40D would be an improvement over the 5D no problem at all.
It will be interesting to see the state of play in 5 years time.