• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

8-bit vs 16-bit TIFF images

Jon Mark

I've printed both sizes (8x10) and so far are not able to tell a significant difference between them in the final output print (Canon i9900).

What are the advantages of printing in 8 vs 16 bit?

Thanks

Josh Liechty

I'll assume that you understand the advantages of editing in 16 bit, but you see that there's no difference between 8 bit and 16 bit output. For most printers (except the new Canon ipf5000), the output is reduced to 8 bits per channel before being printed, so you've essentially printed the same thing both times. Only with the ipf5000 (see Michael Reichmann's review) is there an advantage to sending 16 bit content directly to the printer with Canon's 16 bit printing Photoshop plugin.

Jon Mark

Thanks Josh for the helpful response.

I set up my i9900 a year ago and really haven't had issues. Just thought I'd throw the question out there. The info you provided was very interesting.