• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

40D focusing screens anybody?

Anybody managed to get a hold and play with any of the extra 40D focusing screens (EF-S, EF-D?) . They seem to be in a short supply.
I also would like to hear about comparison with KatzEye ones. I know KE 40D version is not yet availalbe, but some people had it for with 30D ones. I tried it myself briefly on somebody else's 20D and it felt very nice (although once you start to add must have features like brightness and grids it gets expensive REALLY fast)

Brian Lowe

Nik,

I have been looking for a Ef-D myself I cannot find one, I am sure they'll start showing up soon though. I have the focus screen with the grid in my 1DMKlln and I really miss it with my 40D.

Brian

Brian Lowe

Both 40D screens have no split-prisms, the Ef-D is just like the standard screen with grids.

Remember with split-prisms you need fast glass (f/2.8 or faster) or the prism will be dark and almost useless.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
How long does it take to swap out the screens?

I mostly use fast lenses but hten there's the 24-105 f4.0! I use it with a split screen from BrightScreen and it works! Is the Ef-D really dark?

Asher

Brian Lowe

Greetings Asher,

The whole installation process from opening the box containing the new Ef-d focus screen to taking out the original screen that came with the 40D and installing the Ef-D into the 40D, took less time than typing this reply. :)

The Ef-D screen is not dark at all, the grid lines on the screen are vary helpful if you cant keep the camera straight. I cant do anything straight so the grid lines are very helpful for someone like me.........

Brian

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I see Brian! The Ef-D glass is not split screen! Mu error!

Still, how good is the Ef-D for manual focus?

Asher

Brian,

Nik,
I just installed my Ef-D in my 40D, B&H has them in stock.
Brian
Except for grid lines, can you tell it's better for manual focusing?

I'm still contemplating on KatzEye one. I have enough of f/2.8 or faster glass to use with it (in fact, the only ones that are slower are EF-S 10-22 and EF 100-400L, which I rarely use in lowlight condition anyway).
But - it's expensive...

Mike Bailey

pro member
I've a question: how well does that felt (whatever the material) seal around the focusing screen to avoid getting specks of paint or stuff on the backside of the focusiing screen and on the mirror? On my 5D, and enough 5Ds from threads I've read over time, it's messy. You can more or less clean it using a VisibleDust brush, but the specks adhere tenaciously to the fine ridges on the plastic of the focusing screen and are impossible to completely remove. Plus, it never stays clean very long, even with minimal lens changes, and the 5D seems to be always generating new flecks. Hence, one just learns to live with a less than clean viewfinder.

I'm hoping to hear the 40D is improved on that score.

Mike

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Mine was a mess

My focus screen was so bad, I had to take it in to be serviced when I first got my 5d and did a lens change in some windy conditions. Sensor was ready to be cleaned as well. That was a good lesson for me.