• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Break of Day

One of my favorite areas in New Zealand. But not the sunrise I imagined when I got up early for a long drive in the dark. Stil,l an atmospheric view. Shot at Nugget Point during intermittent rain. The wind was blowing so hard, I eschewed the tripod and cranked the ISO up to 800. Handheld, 5D 24-105 L.
1328MG_1640-Edit-7_copy.jpg

I value your constructive criticism.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nathaniel,

First let's start of by saying FABULOUS!
This is the land, as a boat, riding the water.

More to say!

Just enjoying your photograph for now and so no critique beyond my feelings and the impression I felt of being on a boat!

Asher

I fully agree with Asher - wonderful image!

I was there 2 1/2 years ago, same location, but heavy fog made it difficult for me to even see it, let alone photograph it!

Well done!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
My feeling and thoughts on your picture.

This picture is obviously strikingly beautiful. However, there is more than great breaking sky and emerald water around a lighthouse. This picture assumes a more complex presence. The land itself takes on an energy of importance as if it is the main player. In fact, the land has transformed into a powerful open vessel moving out towards the open water.

The “ship” comes in not centered but more on the right side just like a the water is moving it under it’s control, we have to safely pass the rocks on the right, and we feel she’ll make it.

The path has a fence with posts and safety wires not unlike the rails on a boat. The path winds ahead and then takes an S curve up and around the light house, like the lantern of boats that fish at night.

If we take just one extra step of fantasy and possibility, the picture represents us, life itself, with a purpose but subject to the whims of forces greater than our selves. That small peninsula is our boat and we are on our journey. Perhaps, we should be nice to others traveling with us.

Thanks for sharing this very simple but inspiring image.

Asher

Last edited:
Asher,

The boat metaphor is excellent. Thanks for taking the time to analyze this photo. You can definitely make the case, ... in retrospect. If I went back again, I would probably have the boat metaphor in firmly mind and it might well effect how I approached the photographic situation. But that is the kind of introspective approach one can only take when visiting a location on multiple occasions. In fact, I visited Nugget point 3 times on this trip because I was so taken with its photographic potential. In this case, I was continually responding to the scene and the weather conditions were changing, literally by the moment. Nugget point is a fairly large area requiring a walk down a hillside trail, about 1/2 mile. As one continues down the path, there is an emotional response to the changing scene, it is only later that a more intelectual response is possible (for me).

Asher,

I have now printed this photo at 18x12" As the size increases, the perspective is sharpened, and the separation between land and sky increased making the boat metaphor more apparent.

Thanks