• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Michael Reichman's 2006 assessment of MF Digital Systems, where are we now?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Michael Reichman said:
Medium format is at a crossroads. The reason? Digital. Just as the digital juggernaut has swept away all but a mere handful of 35mm film cameras, so too in medium format. By May, 2006, as this is written, we had lost Bronica and Contax. Rollie, sadly, is a non-competitor outside of Europe. Pentax is a shadow of its former self, having withdrawn all of its medium format film products from Europe, and with an as-yet unreleased digital body not due before year's end. Mamiya has sold its photographic division to another company, while its digital ZD camera seems to have only found a home in Europe and Asia, with US availability in doubt.That leaves Hasselblad.........

Michael Reichman is usually ahead of the curve on digital cameras. He went rhapsodic on the D30 announcing its virtue over film way before a lot of others. When I saw the photography of Neil Turner of dg28.com (Neil, BTW is a great photographer and his website has very useful information), I was blown away by the beauty of the D30 images. They were shown on DPReview after Phil Askey's review and when I saw them I knew there was Digital Nirvana and its first name was Canon.

Well since then Michael's testing of gear always fascinates me. He has used his Contax MF camera with various backs, praised square format and used everything. He has written about more MF backs than almost anyone and more recently seems to be gravitating towards and shooting with Phase One people and cameras.

He gave, as he does, from time to time, a sort of State of the Union written address on MF cameras a little while ago, June 2006, and was bemoaning the falling of camera companies like dominoes, with just one company, Hasselblad, left standing and most all the backs orphans without bodies.

Well, look what happened! Yes, Mamiya and Pentax are off to slow starts (or no start) but that is not the real picture.

SinarHy6.jpg

F-Distagon 3,5/30 HFT PQ
Distagon 4/40 FLE HFT PQ
Distagon 4/50 FLE HFT PQ
Distagon 3,5/60 HFT PQ
Planar Rollei 2.8/80 HFT PQS
Planar 2/110 HFT PQ
Makro-Planar 4/120 HFT PQS
Sonnar Rollei 4/150 HFT PQS
Sonnar Rollei 5.6/250 HFT PQS

"Sinar Hy6 represents the beginning of a new era of digital medium-format photography. Evolving from a technical cooperation between Sinar and Franke & Heidecke, it is a leap forward in innovation that is bound to revolutionize medium-format photography work for many years to come. To cite just two examples: The Sinar Hy6 is currently the only 6x6 cm medium-format camera with 6x4.5 cm capability, so that it can be used for vertical and horizontal as well as square photographs."

Well remember Rollei and the 6008 boxy series, (always technologically ahead of Hassy's but somehow not so popular), well here's the heir, the Hy6, a Rollei design 6x6 film/digital camera that can be had clad as a "Sinar" (a Jenoptic back, now "Sinar"), "Phase One" or "Leaf" and fitted with the respective backs. Oh, BTW, heard of film? Well it uses that analog material too!

And who should arrive on the scene. Remember that dying company called Leica? Well this is proof of resurrection! Leica has indeed purchased the 51% of Sinar (owned by Jenoptic) so now they control this new camera!

So here's Leica now controlling perhaps the most important medium format camera in 40 years and actually marketing the real true almost messianic M8 Digital Leica.

Imagine, Leica now controls the only universal mount modern camera that is produced today that can take any of the backs made except one.

The latter is Hasselblad. The one company that was supposed to lead the pack has now turned inwards and controls everything in custom lenses with software to get rid of vignetting chromatic aberration, geometric distortions focus issues, all within the camera based on the lens that's mounted!

Sounds brilliant? Well yes and no. The new 28mm lens will put it ahead for some interior designers and architects.

Phil Askey said:
The H3D is the world’s first 48mm full-frame, large-sensor, medium-format DSLR camera and offers up to 39 megapixels on its 48x36mm CCD sensor (twice - exactly - the size of a 'full frame' 35mm-format CCD). The sample images on show are very impressive, though with a price tag expected to run well into the tens of thousands (of dollars, euros, pounds) you would hope they would be! http://www.dpreview.com/articles/photokina2006/Hasselblad/

Still, one can take a 35mm lens put it on a Horseman Digital camera and do just as well and shift the back X and Y planes to get a larger architectural image. Or do the same with a Sinar e75 with Sinar LF camera or an Ebony with a Phase one back or many other combinations that will leave the new Hasselblad in the dust.

So, the Hasselblad is now a perfectly integrated system, a good answer, but not as dynamic as we'll find with the new Leica(Sinar(Rollei)) camera called the Hy6.

I guess Hy stands for hybrid!

The special thing about this camera is market forces will be at work. The front of the camera will take Schneider, Zeiss and Sinar lenses. The back of the camera can be film or any digital back you choose!

So, there will be a lot of competition to sell us the backs. I see prices going down as MF backs compete for the limited market for these cameras. I see this as an important stabilizing point in the history of the MF camera. At least that's what the potential. Now who would have even though Rollei would be represented in this new camera? More crazy, who could have dreamed that we might see a Leica lenses and name plate too?

Now I know digital Nirvanas real name and it's Leica!

Michael has been to Photokina; see what he says in his fascinating video blog. After all he actually has held all these cameras! http://luminous-landscape.com/photokina/medium-format-report.shtml

One great thing about Luminous Landscape is the publishing of The Video Journal. Professionally produced, the DVD's cover all aspects of photography. https://www.luminous-landscape.com/video_journal/index.shtml The video blog is made ad hoc at Photokina so it does not represent the production standards of the Video Journal. OPF has no financial interest in LL and my remarks are unsolicited.

Last edited:

Paul Schefz

the rollei Hy6 has been in the works for a while...but with changing owners things get shakey...it looks like they really did their homework...and the fact that they are really showing several different bodies, all working makes it even more exciting....
the list of lenses for the Hy6 is way too short btw...there are several new lenses announced (35mm, 2!x 150mm , zoom,...) but there are already a ton available and they will all mount...
a short list of lenses now available, without the new announced ones, i am sure i am missing some and these are just the newer ones:
40mm3.5, 40mm4.0FLE, 50mm2.8, 50mm2.8AF, 60mm2.8, 80mm2.0, 80mm2.8(in 3 versions:pQ,PQS,EL), 90mm4.0macro, 100mm3.5macroAF, 110mm2.0, 120mm4.0macro(PQ,PQS), 150mm4.0, 180mm2.8, 180mm2.8AF.....3 zooms (af, non-af),....you get the picture

Asher Kelman

Paul,

Thanks for the further information. What is the 2!x 150mm Zoom and are these new lenses Sinar?

Do you happen to have a Rollei? I'd love to have us put together an thread on all the available lenses.

We'll start here and then we'll break out to a separate thread if we have enough information. Experience with practical use would be valued.

For Example "The Planar Rollei 2.8/80 HFT PQS makes a perfect lens for taking pictures of ten guest seated around a table." I use it with xxxyyy flash adyyy film and the pictures can be printed to zz"

So that we we think of functionality for those using the 35mm DSLR.

Asher

Paul Schefz

they announces a new 35mmAF, a 150mm2.8AF, a 150mmAF4.0, and a AF zoom (and i beleive a 60mm and 80mm, both AF) all made by jenoptic...i forgot the 55mmT/S lens in my list...
i shoot with a rollei 6008af system...

The world of MF is predictable only on being unpredictable.

__ Kodak developed a digital back and failed
__ Fujifilm developed a digital back -- japan only -- and failed
__ Bronica failed in the digital age
__ Contax failed with a FF
__ Contax failed in the digital age
__ Hasselblad is made by Fujifilm and is now a closed architecture system
__ Mamiya is on a coma

Two systems announced at Photokina, one open, the other closed architecture ... which one is the way to go?

It would be interesting to know the analysis of the two models, because if Hasselblad is correct in the advantages of knowing -- and digitally correcting -- the lenses, the Hy6 will be all over the place, with backs, bodies and lenses from different manufactures.

So we will wait and see what happens. Meanwhile, there is one thing we all know. This two systems, the H3 and the Hy6 are not backward compatible with the existing digital backs.

While we wait to see what happens in MF I will try to find a second hand P25 Mamiya mount and enjoy the backward compatibility of my old world equipment.

Rob.Martin

kodak disasters et al

sad, ain't it?
If only someone was clever and make a cheaper version, bringing it to the world.
MF is special, that cannot be denied, I am hooked.

leonardobarreto.com said:

__ Kodak developed a digital back and failed
__ Fujifilm developed a digital back -- japan only -- and failed
__ Bronica failed in the digital age
__ Contax failed with a FF
__ Contax failed in the digital age
__ Hasselblad is made by Fujifilm and is now a closed architecture system
__ Mamiya is on a coma

Two systems announced at Photokina, one open, the other closed architecture ... which one is the way to go?

It would be interesting to know the analysis of the two models, because if Hasselblad is correct in the advantages of knowing -- and digitally correcting -- the lenses, the Hy6 will be all over the place, with backs, bodies and lenses from different manufactures.

So we will wait and see what happens. Meanwhile, there is one thing we all know. This two systems, the H3 and the Hy6 are not backward compatible with the existing digital backs.

While we wait to see what happens in MF I will try to find a second hand P25 Mamiya mount and enjoy the backward compatibility of my old world equipment.

Paul Schefz

leonardobarreto.com said:

?????the Hy6 even accpets 645 film backs from the 6000 series...it works will ALL existing backs via adapters... where do you get your information? is the hasselblad marketing machine already in over-overdrive?

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Asher
this very interesting thread has been stopped a year ago…

I think it's time for you to get back on it and comment Reichman pre vision…

You are in the know of all these larger than 35mm cameras!

Eric Hiss

Keep us posted Asher

Asher,
As you know, I'm very interested to see/use the Hy6 and compare it to my 6008AF which is slowly growing on me.
Of particular interest to me in a comparison will be:

battery life (sucks on the 6008AF) especially as batteries age.
shutter release which is difficult to press on the 6008AF without inducing camera shake.
Mirror lockup button is hard to find without looking until you get used to it.
Setting exposure metering modes.... - Maybe I'm just slow but this is challenging me on the 6008
AF - I think the AF is week on the 6008 even just focus confirmation

and if you are up in San Francisco, I can offer you the use of my studio and strobes plus a side by side comparison....

Eric

Asher Kelman

I changed the title of the thread today as one person was confused as to my humor: MR the prophet! He has been right. He is right about Hasselblad playing it tough and shutting other back MFRS and H2 users out of advances with the new H3.

Still, the sky has not fallen, yet! Although they are 6 months behind schedule, the Hy6 family of cameras should be at testers soon! Hopefully the joint approach of Jenoptik, Sinar, Kodak, Leaf with the Hy6 platform may well mean there will be more survivors.

Surpisingly Mamiya ZD still is being sold and didn't vanish.

The 1DsIII will put enormous pressure on this highly fragmented MF market which is already small.

I expect MR will get his Hy6 before I do and before snow makes him judge it wearing gloves, LOL!

Asher