• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

As a token of appreciation,

here is a water lily snapshot.
32.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Arun,

I hate it when people's comments are "Wow!" or "Great picture!" and the like!

I could easily do that but realy this is a flower that is grasping at life. Then the innerr petals seem like people meditating around a shrine.

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

BTW, make sure you have annotated all your photography files in Photoshop or iview media pro or other catalog software with your © info! This is too good to be totally unprotected!

janet Smith

pro member
I hate it when people's comments are "Wow!" or "Great picture!" and the like!

Well sorry Asher, but here it comes...... "Great Picture Arun!" this is another absolutely beautiful shot, you have a great talent for flowers, I also share your interest in flowers, they are indeed the main subject of my own photography, and I greatly appreciate your "token of appreciation".

This one works on every level, the lighting (by the way what lighting source are you using?) the colour, the depth of field, the petals waiting to unfurl, beautiful, very well done!

Thank you. The lighting is completely natural taken on a cloudy day in the afternoon.

My camera is Canon 5D using Canon 100mm/2.8 macro lens.
45.jpg

Last edited:

Bev Sampson

Arun, both flower photos are simply outstanding. Can you in the future post camera settings and lighting setup? I too love photographing flowers.

Bev

I am thankful. As for the settings, EXIF is intact in these pictures.

EXIF (water lily):

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D
Image Date: 2007:07:09 12:59:20
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 100.0mm
Exposure Time: 0.020 s (1/50)
Aperture: f/18.0
ISO equiv: 100
White Balance: Auto
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

EXIF (red rose):

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D
Image Date: 2007:06:28 20:24:46
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 100.0mm
Exposure Time: 0.800 s
Aperture: f/22.0
ISO equiv: 200
White Balance: Auto
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

Asher Kelman

Hi Arun,

Your images are remarkably sharp in spite of the small f22 aperture. I wonder whether the diffraction limits have been exceeded and you might have issues printing the image at full size.

Also what distance are you shooting from? I ask this in consideration of the DOF.

These are not criticism of your pcitures, just questions on technic!

Thanks,

Asher

Asher,

They have been sharpened exclusively for the web. For printing purposes, I use a different setting for perfect printing.

Asher Kelman

Hi Arun,

What size are you printing as I'm concerned that at f22 you might be losing resolution due to diffraction limits by the tiny aperture.

Asher

Mostly my pictures are regular 6" by 4" prints. Only sometimes they are enlarged to poster prints. The print quality at that size remains fine albeit little soft. I believe as you go higher in size the sharpness is compromised.

StuartRae

Hi Arun,

First let me congratulate you on some wonderful flower shots. Truly inspirational.

Only sometimes they are enlarged to poster prints. The print quality at that size remains fine albeit little soft. I believe as you go higher in size the sharpness is compromised.

But then of course the larger a print, the greater the distance it's viewed at (unless you're a compulsive pixel peeper).

As a rule of thumb, the human eye cannot distinguish detail smaller than one minute of arc (depending on iris size), so distant coarse detail will appear as sharp as close fine detail.

Regards,

Stuart