• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Administration & Accounting

Marc Hankins

Righto. I'm not really entirely sure this is the correct section of the forum to place this, but i don't think there's actually a topic section purely for the business / Admin parts of photography.

I'm needing a hand here, and I'm sure what this thread may end up containing will be a mine of information for anyone in a similar situation now or in the future.

My problem is such, I'm currently creating a back-end system for my upcoming (sole trader) company. Trying to figure out how to create / archive paperwork and necessary accounts information is doing my head in! Having never created such a system in a large amount of detail before, it's proving a fairly mean task for me to get my head around and master.

I have a basic system made up for archiving necessary paperwork, and what i need to create per order. But I've not found any software to speed up the process for me! I've looked at programs like Sage Instant Accounts. However, i have zero practical knowledge with this software.

So my question I'm sending out, what do you currently working professionals use to cover your asses from the tax man, and if you have used any accounting/customer database softwares, can you tell me of your experiances?

Having absolutely no experience in accounting, i really need any help i can get!

Ray West

Hi Barry,

what do you currently working professionals use to cover your asses from the tax man,
An accountant ;-)

Ask around your local businesses, find a decent (probably small accountancy firm) make an appointment, follow their advice. You will keep the costs down if you prepare your books in a way that suits them. You really do not want to be bothered by this sort of thing. horses for courses, etc.

Best wishes,

Ray

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Too bad you

Are across the Pond. That's what let's me earn money for my obsession.

I do the bookkeeping and accounting for small businesses and advice on software and paperwork setups for small business. My husband is my competitor in that he is a CPA (Chartered Accountant) to you.

What I would recommend is that you make a file for each job; Put copies of all the paperwork for that job in one file. Use your bank statements and credit card statements to record your expenses. Copy all of your checks for payments and put your credit card payment receipts (money coming in) in files to match to your statements.

Any expenses for running your business can generally be filed by month. That will let you trace any income and expenses. I do QuickBooks for most clients, but, I do not know if that is available in the UK.