• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Some Help Please!

Sam Meno

Sam Here. I'm A Newbie And Would Like To Start Taking Pictures Like Valerie Tabor Smith (author/photographer) Because I Like Her Creativity In The Pictures, But I'm Clueless Of How She Does Her Pictures??? Please Show Me Insights, The Tricks And Tips On Photography. I'm Not Sure But It Looks Like She Used Photoshop For The Background Effects? Can A Great Picture Like Hers Be Done On A So So Camera Or Do I Need To Buy Something Expensive??? The Only Camera That I Own Is A Olympus Stylus 800 Hehe. Will That Work?? Some Friendly Advice Would Be Greatly Appreciated. Thanks Guys!

Sam

Sam Meno

Sam I Am

Hello Everyone! Sam Here :) Like All Newbies To Photography I Would Love To Learn How To Take Great Pictures Of Everything And Everybody! I Hope To Meet Great Friends Along The Way On This Forum.

Cheers,

Sam

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Sam,

Questions like yours are usually from one of two motivations: a sincere wish to do better photography or else, more often unfortunately a wry sence of humor by a usually very competant photographer. If the latter, "Ha, Ha!"; if the former this would be my apporach.

Join a local photography club and shoot with them. Go to the museums and galleries and see more. Buy a few books and study the images. Your camera is not the issue ever.

Do you have a gallery, share it so we can see where you are up to. We are not a school but are friendly! We can only help once we have a frame of reference as to who you are, what you do, what images you take, do you have any idea on lighting, how much skill you have in PS and so forth. There is obviously no point in discussing boots when we do not know if you are dressed or naked!

Asher

Sam Meno

Hi Asher. I do not have much experience in photography other then taking pictures for fun. Taking pictures for families and friends just to keep that precious moments. I been thinking allot about wither to one day pro sue in becoming a pro photographer. I been thinking about it for a couple of years now just had not had the chance to get around to it. Now I have allot of free time and would like to pick up a digital camera and work some magic making this a hobby. Still in the process of learning photo shop. I have adobe photo shop I practice just to get use to the whole concept of it. A friend of mine is suppose to drop off photo shop elements anytime soon. Herd this is a great software to edit pictures and much more? Been searching for a digital, maybe a cannon SLR perhaps. Reading reviews on massive digital camera reviews and also on this forum to compare what is a good camera to own. I would like to build up a portfolio of my picture galleries as soon as I know how things work so I would be more confident that I can take any type of pictures. I may not know photographers lingo but I am a quick learner. I will load some pictures that I have previously taken when I have a chance. Its good to meet Asher and everyone on this wonderful forum. This is a step of learning new things and very great for me!

Cheers,

Sam

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Sam,

Good luck on your efforts. If you get the program frrom a friend make sure you are not using it without license. TTBOMK, the software does report it's activity to Adobe! In any case, Photoshop 7.0 is the minimum I'd advise. Please PM me with some photographs so we can determine whether you are ready to jump to the stage of posting images.

BTW, what is your occupation and where are you located.

Asher