• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Epson Exhibition Fiber Paper

This paper has now become available. It is in my opinion really worth looking into. I have not yet been able to try the Harman Gloss, but I managed to get a box of the Epson locally yesterday and it has met my expectations and then some. These had been raised by threads such as:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20721

and on this site, (particularly Nill Toulme's post)

http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4272

I've been making some B&W and color prints and am enthusiastic about the look and feel of this paper. I was able to get out of the starting blocks using the profiles from PixelGenius (for which I'm grateful) intended for the K3 inkset.

Andrew Rodney

I've been using it for a few weeks (I didn't get a lot but enough to play and build profiles). Luster was my paper of choice, this blows it out of the water.

Profiles for the paper are here:

pixelgenius.com/epson

Thanks Andrew for the profiles. And for the printing instructions that are on the page where they can be downloaded (which differ from Epson's. Why is it that one would be inclined to have more confidence in the views of PixelGenius without the slightest hesitation?). Real help. I don't know why the paper is sold under a different name in Europe (or at least in France). Now if the price would come down somewhat...

Addendum to addendum:

Although I have a personal allergy to the Epson ABW driver, I tried Eric Chan's profile and instructions which indeed allow effective soft-proofing prior to using the above driver. For my taste and at my level of (in)competence, this approach permits me to get much improved results in the B&W prints that I have done so far. I am both enthused about the paper and the, for me, significant improvement in results. Many thanks Eric!

Ken Doo

Outside of the hefty price of entry, I'd love to see this paper offered in rolls. The new Harman Gloss FB AL is exceptional btw.....

Tim Armes

For those searching for this paper in Europe, I've discovered that it's called "Traditional Photo Paper" over here. The A3 version has the product code C13S045051.

The confusion with Epson papers is driving me insane. Why they have to change names and codes between the US and the rest of the world I'll never know. Perhaps OPF could maintain a web page that aligns this information so that people will find it easier to find what they're looking for....

Although many European countries are now selling this paper, I can't yet find a French supplier. Does anyone here know of one?

Tim

Hello Tim,

Call Objectif Bastille (01 43 43 57 38) in Paris and ask for Pierre. They have the paper, and he is a very nice and competent fellow. You can get the profile for it on the Epson site (and there is a new driver for the 3800 that I believe supports Mac OS 10.5 - I'm still on 10.4 so I can't tell you about its functionalities). Also download the Pixel Genius profile for the paper and see Eric Chan's site for B&W printing. Although I'm just beginning to become acquainted with printing to this paper, it has made very favorable impression on me. Good luck

Tim Armes

Thanks Ralph,

In the end I phoned up my local shop and they can get hold of it for me (or so they claim). It'll save delivery costs.

I'm a little bit worried about buying without seeing. I hope that the paper lives up to all the hype.

Hello Tim,

I look forward to hearing about your assessment of this paper. I personally think that you will be impressed with the detail, texture and color gamut (and here, unless you do your own profiling, I would recommend the pixel genius profile for this paper - the link to it is on the Epson pro site). As for B&W, I think that Eric Chan's profiles that allow for the use of the Epson ABW driver and soft-proofing are tremendously helpful. I get a very good screen to print match.
Admittedly, I'm a card-carrying sheep that follows the herd of hype, but I also believe that after a while there is a limit to brain-washing and you are left with your prints. Also, for the price of a box of A4 paper, the cost is not too great for paying to see.