• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Greetings all

Ken Heeter

Greetings all!!!
Like most of you I had been fortunate to find this forum while out surfing the web. Yes, I had been lurking for a couple of weeks before finally registering (please don’t hold that against me (G)). I echo what most have said here about this forum, thanks for starting it and all the great information here. I hope to be able to reciprocate.

I fell in love with photography in high school but got away from it about 20 years ago when life called (bills) and the cost associated with it (film, processing, etc.) became overwhelming. I started up again about 5 years ago when my daughter joined t-ball and now we have moved up to softball and I moved up to a DLSR in 2005. I stayed with Pentax so I could use some of my old gear but now I’m wishing I would have switched to Canon at that time. Well, in time I’ll be able to make the move. For now I need to concentrate on building my photo business, kid’s sports are where I’m starting but I have a large catalog of nature/wildlife and some live music too. I have so much to do – edit photos, update software and convert one of my Real Estate websites (yes, I have spent the last 20 years in that industry) to my photography website, etc.. For the time being I’m using Backprint for photos.

Anyway, this intro is long enough. My thanks to all of you who have shared information here and I hope to be able to contribute in the future.
Happy shooting
Ken Heeter
(signature and photo links under construction)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Ken,

A huge welcome and thanks for finally posting! As a community we value participation!

You Pentax is still perfect. Just share with us what you have. I used a Pentax Spotmatic with just one 50mm Super Multicoated Takamur lens for many years and it was and still is superb. Only issue is the little flat coint battery for the lightmeter which is mercury and I can no longer find! One can use Nickle Hydride whixh don't last as long while they are in the camera!

It's a huge mistake to turn one's back on Pentx. The new Pentax K10D for example is very competant, has a fine series of "limited" lenses optimized for digital work and the camera is small and weatherproofed!!!

I use Canons a lot, I agree they are super. However, I love to see photographers maintaining support to companies like Pentax, Fuji, Nikon, Leica, Olympus and more because that is the basis for a competitive market place. Now that Pentax has shown the way with the rugged frame and waterproofing of their new DSLR, they will influence others to follow suit!

So I recommend continuing to use your existing equipment. If you have film, scan and post here. We love that too. The main thing is the passion of your heart and mind gets carved into a final image!

Again welcome

Asher

Ken Heeter

Thanks Asher

Thanks for the welcome Asher. Time has been short the last few weeks so it has taken longer then I wanted to post my intro., and now that volleyball season has started. Well, i'm sure know that old saying "there are never enought hours in a day".

Please don't get me wrong I will never turn my back on Pentax, that thing called "Loyalty" and the fact that I am able to use my old lenes (28mm, 50mm, 135mm, 70-210mm, 500mm, etc.) is what made me purchase my "istds". I started with the ME Super back in the dark ages, I still have and use it sometimes. The istds will most likely endup around my neck with the shorter lenes on it and I will use it to help my daughter "fall in love with photography". But since it is my primary camera right now I can't let her use it on her own. The main reason I am thinking about moving to Canon in the (distant) future is quality and selection of lenes for where I want to take my career.

Equipment --
Pentax istds
lenes -- see above

to view some photos http://www.backprint.com/frommyeye
most photos have not been processed other then crop

Gotta run
Ken Heeter