• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

1Ds3 mini review

Jack_Flesher

I've posted a 1Ds3 mini review on my workshop site. I included comparative images from a 5D and 1Ds2 as well. Not a lot of words, mostly image crops to help you draw your own conclusions... Click on the thumb below to view:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Jack,

I like the comparison to the 1DsII and the 5D. Yuu have picked a good subject in the roof with tiles and then pealing paint to be a good challenge for the cameras. Bringing in the Leica at 5.6 aperture is cheating! :) The 1DsIII is already or close to challenged with its tiny pixels at f8.0 for softening due to diffraction limits.

Still, you picked the best cameras and I like your discussion.

Asher

I've posted a 1Ds3 mini review on my workshop site.

Jack, thanks for posting your impressions. It is helpful information for many people for planning their equipment path forward.

To be bluntly honest though, I don't like the sharpening applied to the image crops. It's just my personal opinion, others may have other preferences. The sand in the roof shingles doesn't look like sand at all, something I have not seen in other reviews before (where material surface texture looks natural). Perhaps they look better in print than on screen.

I was also a bit surprised that you didn't notice the larger viewfinder image (0.76x versus 0.70x magnification for the 1Ds2), where other reviewers specifically mention the bright large viewfinder image. Maybe it was not important enough for you to immediately notice it, which is fine (different strokes for different folks), but it can be important for others (e.g. manual focussing in dimly lit locations). Maybe the difference is obscured by additional info in the viewfinder?

I'm planning to get a 1Ds Mark III myself (when I can get it for a more decent price in Euros), so I'll use your observations as well as the observations by others to complete the list of features I need to test for optimization. The AA-filter characteristics and associated sharpening are high (they moved up) on that list.

Thanks for sharing.

Bart

Jack_Flesher

Hi Jack,

I like the comparison to the 1DsII and the 5D. Yuu have picked a good subject in the roof with tiles and then pealing paint to be a good challenge for the cameras. Bringing in the Leica at 5.6 aperture is cheating! :) The 1DsIII is already or close to challenged with its tiny pixels at f8.0 for softening due to diffraction limits.

Still, you picked the best cameras and I like your discussion.

Asher

Thanks Asher:

As you know, testing cameras is a real PITA --- no way to keep everybody happy with a single methodology! In the end, I simply shoot and process similarly to keep as much constant as possible and post them for folks to evaluate as they see fit. Seems to work most of the time ;)

PS: Do you have your film from the big shoot back yet? I for one am REALLY curious!

Cheers,

Jack_Flesher

Bart:

As I said in the review, I really didn't notice the viewfinder being significantly bigger or brighter than previous full frame Canons, and I went directly from the 1Ds3 to the 1Ds2 to the 5D in this test. I know other reviewers have commented on it though. Maybe I didn't notice it because I am used to my *VERY* bright M8 finder or perhaps it was because I was shooting them in comparitively bright sun to begin with. Anyway, I suspect folks that step up to the plate and pay the price for one will surely notice it ;)

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jack,

I'm coming up to S.F. soon with my 7x17 negatives. I have to get copies from the other cameras too.

Asher

Last edited: