• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New post for your thoughts.

Shane Carter

Still learning, third try with strobes, looking for critique/suggestions please. Trying for a 30's-40's lighting look, quasi-Hurrell style so lots of shadows, 10% grids, barndoors, light umbrella fill...anyway, was trying. This is my oldest daughter so she was a trooper to tolerate Dad learning when all she really wanted to do was head out for the eve. Let 'er rip. <smile>

57490M2N3712.jpg

57490M2N3642.jpg

57490M2N3716.jpg

57490M2N3784.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Shane,

Congratulations on this shoot! i'm getting ready to travel but I just wanted to say how very impressed I am. let me know if you intended this to be in B&W and what your process was to convert to B&W, just for others to use as a learning reference for the thread. Was this the 85mm but stopped down?

Did you smooth the skin, briefly, very briefly, I realy like the pictures, but hope to come back tp them later. For Nicolas Claris' sake, why B&W? What is it about color you wished to leave behind or about B&W that you sought?

Asher

Shane Carter

Shane,

Congratulations on this shoot! i'm getting ready to travel but I just wanted to say how very impressed I am. let me know if you intended this to be in B&W and what your process was to convert to B&W, just for others to use as a learning reference for the thread. Was this the 85mm but stopped down?

Did you smooth the skin, briefly, very briefly, I realy like the pictures, but hope to come back tp them later. For Nicolas Claris' sake, why B&W? What is it about color you wished to leave behind or about B&W that you sought?

Asher

Hey Asher, thanks for chiming in, especially when you are in a hurry! There we intended to be B&W from the beginning. I'm working on my final project for a studio class and going for a Hurrell look. I always shoot in RAW and have a preset for B&W that I used. Of course you can change that in RAW (I use DPP for conversion to tiff). I used advice received here and used a red filter on the conversion, USM at 4 and 0 contrast.

This was with a 1Dmk2n while my Mk3 is getting the new sub-mirror replacement. The Mk3 would have produced cleaner images for sure. The lens was a 70-200 at about 100mm for most these. F22 on the main light, up high with a 22 inch dish and 30% grid. Hairlight was a 11 inch dish with a 10% grid, and fill with an umbrella. Learning how to best use this equipment...had it for two weeks now, any lights at all that is. :)

Happy travels!

Husain Alfraid

Still learning, third try with strobes, looking for critique/suggestions please. Trying for a 30's-40's lighting look, quasi-Hurrell style so lots of shadows, 10% grids, barndoors, light umbrella fill...anyway, was trying. This is my oldest daughter so she was a trooper to tolerate Dad learning when all she really wanted to do was head out for the eve. Let 'er rip. <smile>

-----
Greay lightings...i loved 1st and 3rd one:)

Shane Carter

-----
Greay lightings...i loved 1st and 3rd one:)

Thanks Husain. :)

Marcus Peddle

Excellent photographs. Studio lighting is something I want to learn in the future. The only fault I can see is that the catchlights (is that what you call them?) in the eyes of the second photograph look a bit too strong.

Shane Carter

Excellent photographs. Studio lighting is something I want to learn in the future. The only fault I can see is that the catchlights (is that what you call them?) in the eyes of the second photograph look a bit too strong.

Oh, missed your post Marcus! Thanks and yes, the fill light caught the white of the eye in that one and gives a odd reflection. Good catch. :) Thanks for chiming in and post some studio stuff when you get to it. :)