• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

1DsMkIII quick comments

So I have had my 1DsMkIII just over one week now and finally managed to get a model in the studio to test it out; properly like.

Very nice pictures, love the Auto-focus and overall much easier to use then my 1DsMkII, but...

I am uncomfortable with the way the AF point selection works, but this just may be lack of practice.

However,

Sassifraction Friggin PC sync cord connection!!.

I want to know why Canon thought to have a device to hold the USB cord in place and didn't bother to make something that holds what I really need to hold in place, the PC Sync cord. And to top it all off, frequently it didn't fall out, it just pulled out far enough so the lights wouldn't go off and I ended up having to actually keep a finger on it to keep it in place instead of the palm of my hand.

This is the only thing that was more frustating then on my 1DsMkII (but I have used duct tape on that once before); other then AF point selection (which I think maybe temporary, but I am still undecided)

Now back to the good stuff:
I realize the 1DM3 guys have had it for awhile, but I really like being able to send the raw to one card and the jpeg to another, speeds things up a lot if I need it to.

It definately writes to my CF cards faster and I only hit the buffer once (although I had to actually work at it - the model helped) and it cleared really fast compared to the MkII.

And on a nuetral basis, it looks like or runway style shoots the all point AF system will work very well, but it is still single point AF for Model portfolio shoots.

And did I mention I like the AF a lot better. :)

I am currently archiving the shoot, so it will be awhile before I can down-select and edit the chosen few, but I had to get this out of my system, thanks.

trivia: yes I know there are other devices that can trigger the light, but they tend to be even less reliable I have found, like the batteries go out when I lest need them to.

Last edited:
I have not used a PC cord in 10 years or something. I crashed one time my RZ by pooling my Dynalite connected to the PC cord... then I had a lot of PC cord failure exactly at the moment of model and client motor-shoot time, not a good memory. What about disconnecting PC cord from camera to connect to flash meter and back to camera...

Then one day o got an Wain wireless and problem solved. You can just put it on top of the camera where the flash goes and shoot wireless, free from that leash.

You could by a radio wireless, for me, the Wain works so well that I have no need to change it. What Canon should do is to make a built in transmitter.

I don't think this is a camera's fault.

The problem with a built in transmitter is it would have to be some form of industry standard that was open enough for multiple companies to use. A year ago I would have suggested PW standards, but apparently they are not allowing other companies the use of the standard for their own recievers (although I gather they don't have a problem with transmitters) this severly limits long-term utility.

I will have to check in to the Wain wireless (a quick google search didn't work), but if it uses batteries, then just another problem, if it ran off the camera's power without draining it too much then that would be perfect.

I tend to suffer from Absentis Mentis, It took years for me to get into the habit of immeadiately charging my camera battery ASAP after it gets too low and I swap it for the other battery. After charging it goes back into it's pouch in my camera bag. I gave up on wireless remotes, which I have (which also use the PC Sync connection, not because of the sync cord, but because of having to constantly recharge or change out the batteries. If I use rechargeables they seem to need to be recharged just before use (something that my problem seems to aggravate), if I use expendables then it costs money every shoot. It was easier for me to learn not to trip over the PC Sync cord. I do use my radio remote set for special events, but that being a special event, I expend the money for fresh batteries.

Meanwhile, I decided I could make something that would work, given that Canon had supplied the one thing I had needed, something to attach it too and so now I have a PC Sync cord holder. Took me 30 minutes with a dremel tool using some cheap plastic I had lying about. Would have been quicker, but I discovered it needed to be a little bit flatter then I had thought, and then I tweaked it. I could probably duplicate it in 5 minutes now. It is tacky looking and I would not be able to use a remote release at the same time, but then if I am using a remote release, it is highly likely the camera is on the tripod and the PC Sync cord is not very likely to fall out. I figure Canon could have made something to hold all four cords in place individualy or at the same time for about 5 cents and it would look way better then what I have made. I give credit only because not all PC sync cords use exactly the same connections, but I can think of how it could be done for all of the ones I have seen, with a second piece of 5 cent plastic.

As to swapping the cord for going to the light meter, for what I shoot, I usualy just need to set the lights once and I am good to go. I sometimes have to lower the lights, but all factors considered this does not change the light's settings enough to need to check again. I am doing model portfolios, usually with new models and frequently we are trying out a lot of different things that just their movement changes the lighting. We are trying to find their looks and best poses, while still getting good shots. I have a time limit and need to get as many decent shots in that limit as possible, so moving the lights more then up or down, usually gets in the way of the higher goal. I am not doing single shot portraits or I suspect a holder would be a bit of a nuisance, but a properly designed snap on piece would solve that problem. On those occasions where I have done some, I usually have the camera on the tripod anyway.

Just my experience and opinion,

And now for a bit of humor,
So I got called a couple of days ago to help out with a event for an friend, he wanted someone to take pictures of people as they come into an event. Normally I wouldn't do this as it is set piece stuff - stand the people in front of a backdrop - take the picture - print; but what he wanted was more then just that, he wanted to give the folks more of a Red Carpet/Paparazzi feel to the shots as they come in. So the target will mostly be moving. Since this is much more fun and closer to the kind of thing I do do, I said sure.

So background given, what do I need to make this work correctly...

Yep, that USB connector holder they indluded with the 1DsMkIII that I thought was nice, but pretty useless to me.

So, while I still could use a PC Sync cord holder, that USB holder ain't so useless after all. Just goes to show you.

And for trivia I will probably be using my radio remote to my lights to cut down on cords.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tim,

I want to know why Canon thought to have a device to hold the USB cord in place and didn't bother to make something that holds what I really need to hold in place, the PC Sync cord.

My 20D has a PC terminal that takes sync cords with a screw retainer ("Nikon style"). Does your machine not have such?

Or are you speaking of some sort of hook for the cord itself, not fixing the connector in place?

Hmmm...
As far as I can see it doesn't have a screw in terminal on the camera. But then I have never used a Sync cord that had a screw in male side, so it might work.

Does anyone know if the 1DsMkII and MkIII have that ability. If so, maybe my problem has been my sync cords not the camera/cord.

MArk Le

nikon sync connector

I too use the nikon connector with the screw. problem is that I have just one and I don't even know if they make it anymore.
I bought it some 10 years ago and if I remember correctly the cord was a sc-11 but the ones I see now are without the screw.

on 1Ds I and II won't hold without the screw.

now I'm back to search for the connectors with the screw LOL