• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Mt Battie St Park

Ron Morse

This is a tower that was erected for the soldiers coming back from WW1 on MT Battie in Camden Me. The state has made a state park out of the area. It just stands their looking out to sea.

Actually it was erected in 1920 I believe in reccognition of the services of the men and women of WW1.

40D
17-50 tamron

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Ron,

This is appropriately in B&W and is both simple and sombre. The open arches reminds me of a more elaborate memorial in Munich in the center of a park.

I wonder if people still visit? It does seem well maintained. Are there seats or perhaps a fountain inside?

Asher

Ron Morse

Hi Asher,

It has a spiral starcase inside leading to a lookout on top.

It has a steady stream of visitors in the summer. Its beautiful looking from here out to sea with a lot of islands dotting the water.

I thought of posting a gaussian blur version at first.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This blurred version somehow reminds me of the work of Stan Jirman ! The massive border fortification that the Czeck army built but the British government's appeasement of the Adolf Hitler, simply induced the govenment to cede to the invading Wehrmacht! I guess the stone and the mist of the Czech thown-away forts mirror, in a way, the wasted lives of WWI whose lessons we couldn't learn!

3.jpg

© Stan Jirman all rights reserved

Asher

Last edited: