• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

K N Z Y

Husain Alfraid

a picture on my GF's niece Mackyenze...i hope you all guys like it :)
For a larger view.. CLICK on the picture

Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D200
Shutter Speed: 1/60 second
F Number: F/5.0
Focal Length: 75 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Nikkor 70-300

CS3+lightzone: Hue/Saturation, Framing & watermark.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I GUESS NO ONE LIKES, Mackyenze's :D:D:D

Not true! I like the picture but sometimes I hold back as I often have strong opinions and don't want to intimidate others and influence or tilt feedback. It's tough for me to wait as I do have reactions, however, this is holiday time and people are with family, friends, shopping (everywhere has sales) and people are skiing, after all this is vacation time.

I have posted pictures that took a lot of effort and they can sleep, apparently unappreciated until the right person starts things going and a buzz of discussion follows.

So be patient and you will be rewarded, no doubt.

No have you looked at the night pictures or Panos? There are a lot of new pictures to look at. Also go through the fora corresponding to your own interests, you'll find pictures that really interest you and are relatively-speaking orphans! Maybe you, yourself will be moved and respond to them.

Meanwhile, this little girl will look out of the page at us and for sure will get some responses!

Happy New year,

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
Hello Hussain

Yes, I like this, she is certainly exceptionally pretty and will break many hearts in years to come I'm sure!!

I like her rather surprised/curious/intrigued expression, and the almost diagonal tilt of her head. Those more experienced with studio lighting than me will be able to comment better than I can, but IMHO the light looks just slighly harsh, skin tone possibly looks just a tad too white and lacking in detail, was this your intention though? However I think both the photograph and Mackyenze are lovely!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Style

I love images of children - yes, you captured her facial expression which is really cute. I think it's a great shot, actually. But for me, my personal taste is I like more natural imagery. Her lips are overly hot pink and mascara too much for a small little one like that. Keep them little because they grow up fast enough. I also think you've overprocessed her skin tone to be white and that you might have been going for high key white background and it's slightly grey.

janet Smith

pro member
I am assuming the effect you have created is intentional. Has that cross processed look.

Hi Paul

I thought the effect was probably intentional too, could you explain what you mean by "cross processed" I'm showing my inexperience with digital processing again, but it's the only way to learn.....

But for me, my personal taste is I like more natural imagery. Her lips are overly hot pink and mascara too much for a small little one like that.

I agree with Kathy about the "made up" look, although I don't mind the over processed skin. It seems to give a more ethereal feel, and her expression is great, but the mascara and lipstick are just too unsettling for me.

-Colleen

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Hi Paul

I thought the effect was probably intentional too, could you explain what you mean by "cross processed" I'm showing my inexperience with digital processing again, but it's the only way to learn.....

"Cross processing" is a term that harkens back to color film development. Specifically, to intentionally using the "wrong" developer. For example, using print film chemicals for transparencies, or vice-versa. This produces stark results, particularly over-saturated reds, blues, and greens with extremely high contrast.

Several plug-in developers have created analogous effects for the digital darkroom and you'll find "cross-processing" filters available in quite a few suites of these widgets. This portrait is an example of the results of one of these cross-processing filter effects.

This effect can be effective for certain expressive bodies of photographic art work. But it has also become solidly cliche pastiche very fast. (It actually became cliche when it was first used in the 1960's.)

Whether or not this produced a good keepsake only Husain can say. The image looks like it might have been a much stronger without the effect. There are few subjects that offer more powerful potential than a child's face keenly photographed.

In general I recommend eschewing reliance on such gimmicks, particularly for personal work. Advertising / entertainment work often needs them as attention-getters with kids. Rely on your photographic skills to convey your vision and skill.

janet Smith

pro member
"Cross processing" is a term that harkens back to color film development. Specifically, to intentionally using the "wrong" developer. For example, using print film chemicals for transparencies, or vice-versa. This produces stark results, particularly over-saturated reds, blues, and greens with extremely high contrast.

Hi Ken

Thank you for this explanation, much appreciated......

Husain Alfraid

wow..its been awhile since i was here the last time.

thanx for all the explanation Ken...I agree with you that i over did the processing.

actually, the lips were made by hue/saturation...and the mascara is not a really mascara...it was just an over adjust with the contrast ...and her eyelashes were wet cuz she was in the bath :D.

thank you again for the support guys.