• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Apple tree blossom

qwaa7.jpg

Any thoughts about this picture?

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Gregory,

There is a considerable difference between delivering encouraging praise and helpful critique.
In OPF we are nurturing and supportive. However to be the most useful, the community response to images has to be informed by your own ideas, imperatives, purpose and intent.

We therefore need to have something beyond "pretty flower" to do deliver the most useful feedback, even if we are qualified and articulate. So everyone, say what you tried to do and how you feel about the pictures you post. Without a context, opinions might not be relevant to the photographers needs.

Well here, Gregory, we have no details of the pictures as the EXIF is wiped clean. I'd imagine it was taken with a DSLR and a fairly wide open aperture. Parts of the petals are over-exposed (so bracketing should be considered when photographing white objects)! There has been some movement of the rear petals.

To the critique:

First I like the choice of subject, the soft rendering and the translucency of the petals especially the in the petals on the upper right and lower left cupping the central space. I have some picky issues to present to as a consideration.

1. The edge of a petal on the right be removed to get rid of the sliver of a new petal.
  2. Consider both a tighter crop placing center of interest according to rules of 2/3 or else
  3. Try adding matched blurred space to the left of the frame to balance the image.
  4. Work with the RAW image to deal with blown out parts of petals OR clone and repair those portions from intact petals
  5. See if you can pull into focus 2-3 antlers to get a line of in focus subject from the upper right to the lower left. Clone them from another of your pictures from the same shoot.

Now I'd the test of an image is how it prints.

These are merely suggestions worth testing out, but your only own vision will tell you whether this is right!

Asher