• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Manfrotto 390RC2

Paul McGuckin

Just been trying to use a new Manfrotto tripod with a 390RC2 head, but I can't mount the camera on the release plate, because it has a little plastic, erm, thing, beside the screw. Tried to attache a pic, but i'm not allowed - think I need to remove this but not sure how. Think this head is for photo and video, so wondering is this is an issue.

Thanks!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Tried to attache a pic, but i'm not allowed - think I need to remove this but not sure how.

Thanks!

Hi paul
OPF is not hosting any images (for now) so no one is allowed to attach an image to a message.

If you want to post an image you have to upload it to your webserver, copy the link and paste it into the field that pops-up when you click of this icon
insertimage.gif
of the reply or post window…

Have a nice year!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Just been trying to use a new Manfrotto tripod with a 390RC2 head, but I can't mount the camera on the release plate, because it has a little plastic, erm, thing, beside the screw.

If this is the one you have:
179175.jpg

Then I guess you've got the wrong (for you) quick release plate…

This one looks better… but you surely can take this little plastic thing off…

large_665.jpg

Just been trying to use a new Manfrotto tripod with a 390RC2 head, but I can't mount the camera on the release plate, because it has a little plastic, erm, thing, beside the screw. Tried to attache a pic, but i'm not allowed - think I need to remove this but not sure how. Think this head is for photo and video, so wondering is this is an issue.

Thanks!

Hi Paul,

I looks like the quick release plate is mostly used with pan/tilt video equipment, and the little pin is used to lock the equipment in a fixed position. Unfortunately most still cameras don't have a provision to allow that. It seems there is no other PL200 release plate for that head, so you'd have remove (Dremel?) it to use with most still cameras. I don't know it it can be unscrewed with a hex key or something, maybe it is welded, have you looked at the bottom of the plate?

For posting pictures, you need to paste or type the URL of the image (which should be hosted on a public server) between IMG tags, but it's easier to use the ' insert image' toolbar icon.

Bart

Paul McGuckin

Thanks Guys

Nicolas, that is the plate I have. Seems strange that it says it is for photo and video, but doesn't have a plate suitable for photo! On the bottom, there is a notch were you can stick a screwdriver, but it just twists around, doesn't undo it.

I think I'll just get a new plate, just wanted to check that there wasn't a simple answer that I had overlooked.

Thanks again

Ray West

The simple answer is that the peg is not screwed in, it's simply a press fit. Just smash it off, or press it back out again. Alternatively get an 1/8th inch drill, and drill a hole in the bottom of your camera ;-). The notch is just to give a little give to the peg, so it fits snugly to the hole in the cast plate, a money saving manufacturing/assembly trick, of course.

Best wishes,

Ray

Mike Harrold

Whoa!

Alternatively get an 1/8th inch drill, and drill a hole in the bottom of your camera ;-).

I would think about that!!

Screwing up mounting plate with a Dremel and buying a new one. . . $50
Screwing up camera with drill bit and buying a new one. . . . . . . . . . $7500

I would try grinding off the peg first and if that didn't work I would get a new plate.

Mike

Ray West

Hi Mike,

I think a Dremel would struggle with an 1/8th inch bit ;-)

Perhaps, if the base of the camera is of metal, then a threaded, drilled packing plate could be tig welded on...... (but if you don't want to remove the camera battery, then best to use gas welding)

Best wishes,

Ray