• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Line of drops

Rachel Foster

I'm checking my progress. I think I'm getting better but would like feedback. I'll stick my neck out and say I like this one. I was trying to show the beauty of everyday life (even on a rainy day!). I like simple; but a question I have is whether or not this is too simple? Are there compositional elements "off" that I have not seen? Off hand, I am not seeing obvious ways to improve this photo. I like it...what am I missing?

Bottom line: Is it elegant or just boring?

lineofdrops.jpg

ETA: this was taken on a rainy, foggy day in the park. It is raindrops on a twig.

Mike Spinak

pro member
Rachel,

I do think this photo has some merit. I do not think it is extraordinarily strong, but it has some merit, and it shows you are going in the right direction.

I don't see a lot of specific compositional elements to correct here, except, perhaps, that the blurred twig rising upward and rightward from the leftmost drop is slightly distracting. I also wonder whether it would have been possible to get the entire twig and set of drops in focus, by more parallel alignment... however, I cannot say, without having been there.

Keep up the good work.

StuartRae

Hi Rachel,

This could be a nice shot, but a few points.

1. I would crop off most of the uninteresting top part of the image.

2. I would try to get some colour into the background.

3. I'm not sure that the streak running up from the left most drop is a blurred twig. It looks like an unsuccessful attempt at cloning something out.

4. The drops lack real sparkle.

I hope you don't mind, but here is a quick edit that addresses points 1 and 2.

lineofdrops-LM.jpg

© Rachel Foster

Regards,

Stuart

Last edited:

Rachel Foster

The tighter crop is very engaging I agree.

Thank you both for commenting. What I think I'm reading is, in essence, "Good start but could be better." Good enough for me! Working toward that better is my constant goal, so this feedback (detailed as these comments are) is very helpful.

Steve Saunders

Good effort Rachel. It looks like you could have spent some time with that shot, maybe experiment with bracketing the exposure and a bit of flash to add sparkle to the drops. Well done anyway.

Rachel,

Flash is a good idea. Not the first thing I think of on a rainy day either... Although I usually have it with me in the bag, if I should happen to think of it.

I took the liberty of downloading and playing with the curves a little. I also cloned out some of the distracting shadows in the top 2/3rds of the image.

Rather than post here, I'll just post this link. I like how the branch separates light from dark.

However, if I were you, I'd chalk this one up to part of the process.

I was reading a post not too long ago (I think on theonlinephotographer.com) about the categories you could sort your shots into. My terms: Losers, Winners, and Almost Winners. Whoever wrote the article argues that its the "Almost Winners" that are the most interesting. Its these that you should learn from and try to figure out what could take your passion or technique for that image to the next level...

Hope that helps.

Rachel Foster

Thanks, Edward, and I'm on the same wavelength. Learning is the goal and always will be. I've got very very few winners as yet (I have a couple I will put in that category). For example, this is my best shot ever.

TimelessinWhite.jpg

It was early on and in some ways a fluke. It was not meant to be out of focus, but in this one, I think the fuzzy works. This next shot is edging toward what I want but not quite there.

2jan4wine.jpg

Every shot is a learning experience and right now, "almost winners" is good enough.

Thanks.

Is there a reflection of the rest of the branch repeated in the drops or have I just been sitting in front of the computer too long? To me that would make this a really interesting image. It looks simple at first glance, then you see the reflection of the branches in the drops. That's my bias though... I love the fractal nature of Nature :)

-Colleen