• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Need advice on High School Photos

Kevin Fox

Hello everybody,

I've been a member a matter of moments and this is my first post. I am a photographer in New York City with a studio shooting a lot of performing artists, headshots etc. I have been approached by someone to shoot school photos of 350 kids. I would love to hear from someone who has done this. What do you charge? How do you charge? How do you know who each kid is? Do you have them hold a sign with their name on it? I shoot 200 shots of an actor. Would I shoot 4 or 5 shots and pick the one I think is best and just present that or do they get to choose.

The school says they want to make it a fund raiser. So I'm to find out what the going rate is and they'll charge a bit more or something. I'm to shoot all 350 kids on the assumption that enough will order prints to make it all worth my while.

And assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin Fox

ron_hiner

Welcome Kevin! You've come to the right place! Asher owns the place, and he pays the electric bill on time (or so it would appear) and he and his lieutenants are generally an agreeable bunch. Asher rarely throws people out for D&D behavior, but he has been known to get a little testy if people post pics without letting on the story of the pic, and the all the gory tech details. (just kidding). (I think).

I've done this kind of shoot with 80 elementary school kids... hopefully some of what I learned will help you.

I had my 12 year old daughter keep a list of names as the kids lined up for their 1/60 second of fame. that didn't work so well, because it ran into 3 pages, then they were torn from the notebook. Next time, use a notebook with non-removable pages, and periodically shout out a frame number to be recorded in the book.

I took 3-4 shots of each kid. In most cases, that was two too many. But in some, i wish I had one more. But I had a line of 10-20 kids queued up -- they were not going to be patient for me. Funny, it just occured to me that for each kid, the first shot was usually the one that was the keeper.

Put a mark on the floor where you want them to stand -- its far easier than constantly instructing them to moving forward and back. Likewise put a couple marks on nearby objects (lightstands, walls, etc) -- they will understand "turn and face the blue dot" but if you ask them to turn to their right, they will invariably turn to their left.

I used a 2 SB-800's plus a studio strobe. One of the SBs gave out at about 125 frames -- I think it overheated. $175 to fix. Ugh.

I donated my time to the school -- they sold them for $25 a piece, and for the families that didn't have $25 (and had identified themselves as eligible for free school lunches or something) got the prints for free. ) I did not know, or want to know, who those families were. I spent far more time on these than I had planned -- but I learned a lot in the process, so it was not time wasted.

I retouched and printed every single one. I learned a lot about printing from this experience. The biggest lesson was that I think its cheaper to print to a lab like WHCC than to print myself. Besides, its easier to rebill the expenses. However, my own inkjet prints are far better now than they were before this project.

I am doing another one of these shoots in two weeks. I was unsuccessful at convincing the principal of the school that the shots are worth far more than $25. I wanted to charge $50. And I think they are worth $100. So I'm a little bitter about that.

However, I got a bunch of private portrait shots directly as a result of the first shoot, so I have nothing to complain about.

One thing I'm going to do different this time is make sure every frame has the kids name in the ITPC data (easy with photomechanic).

Parents think that prints are worth 62 cents because that what the local drugstore charges. Some parents will appreciate the difference between what you can produce and what they can produce without your help. My advice on this one is not to get worked up over it. Also, the portrait packages produce by the school photography companies are selling packages of prints for $20 and less. I can't stand the two-umbrella-muslin-background-and-school-picture-day-clothes-with-stupid-smile pictures... they are worth far less than the $20 that they are being sold for. again, some parents will appreciate your talent and some won't. So the ones the do, pull them aside and sell them a family portrait. Then, get their email address for next October when you do your email blast telling them why they should hire you to produce their holiday cards.

Hope this helps!

Ron

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Form

Instead of the note book, you can pre-print forms for the parents to fill out with the childs name, address, phone and other information you might want for marketing later. Leave a space for you to write the frame numbers.

Most school or kids sports pictures are a package with various sizes available and the parents prepay for them and include a check before the shoot. Good or bad - they don't get a choice of images. They take whatever image you create. One or two shots only incase there are blinks or other silly child behavior you don't want.

You can also use a host like I do - Smugmug where they fulfill the orders via their lab and you can build some profit in the pricing. Give the parents the domain name (with a pro account you can use your own domain) and you set the price. They send you a check less 15% plus the price of the print.

ron_hiner

Thanks Doug

BTW, I really was kidding about my comment that Asher likes to see the details of the photos... here I thought it was because he (like me) is always interested in the details. But wow... I just read the Kombizz Saffron thread. This is serious business. Its those kind of details that Asher watches out for that make this a great site.

Kathy - in my case, this was one of those awkward situations where the customers (the ones with the $$) are not the subjects. Prepayment wouldn't have been an option. But I like of the preprinted form. At a minimum, it will help build my own customer database.

Kevin -- let us know how it goes!

Ron

Kevin Fox

Thanks

Excellent advise. I'm tempted to have each kid write their name with a Sharpie and shoot them like a mug shot. I'm worried about wrting down the image number for the kid. If I get one wrong then they will all be wrong.
I also had no clue what to charge. I'm thinking of telling them I want $20-$25 per kid and they gan add $5 or $10 for thier fund raising.

You guys are great. Happy to be here.

Kevin

ron_hiner

Kevin -- i just found out that we have some extra parent volunteers available for projects like this... I just put in for one to keep a notebook for me. I'm also going to ask that the volunteer do a last-minute costume/hair check. You might want to check with your school to see if there a volunteer to help you. At the very least, you want your volnteer to keep order so that you can focus on your subject -- the results will show in your pictures.

Ron