• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens..

Barry Johnston

I picked up an EF 100mm macro lens on Friday, and during testing was amazed at how slow it focuses. Is this standard or do I have a bad copy? It also hunts for a long time before finally picking up a focusing point.... I have no other lens to compare it with either so not sure if this is usually the case or not.

It seems sharp enough when in focus, but it doesn't take much to lose it again either....
Maybe I have been spoilt with L series lenses as this is my only non-L so far...

Any comments on this ?

original.jpg

Oh yeah, and no comments about the dust on the lens please.... ;-)

Regards,
Barry.

I picked up an EF 100mm macro lens on Friday, and during testing was amazed at how slow it focuses. Is this standard or do I have a bad copy?

Is this the USM version, with the separate lens hood, or the older non-USM version with the recessed front element? The USM version is not that slow, although the focus mechanism has to bridge a much larger distance between the extremes, so it won't snap into focus as fast as some other L lenses. In fact it's fast enough to use it in Servo AF and follow flowers swaying in the wind (which is fast movement from up close), or flying insects like this one (single off-centre focus point on the bee) and it was not hovering:

Bee_t.jpg

It also hunts for a long time before finally picking up a focusing point.... I have no other lens to compare it with either so not sure if this is usually the case or not.

Assuming it has someting to focus on, it should not hunt.

Bart

Barry Johnston

100mm Macro USM

Hi Bart,
This is a brand new lens actually, the USM version; and it didn't come with any lens hood at all, only lens caps....

I have seen so many beautiful photos taken with this very lens (like the one you posted), that's why I decided to purchase one.

One other thing, when I put my flash (EX 580 II) on the camera, the flash shows the lens at 80mm not 105mm? Do you think this is normal ?... I'm confused
I am hoping to buy the MT24EX twin head flash when I can....

I may have to find another identical lens to compare it against....

Regards,
Barry

Ron Morse

I have the same lense and have used it in aquarium photography without real good light and have had good results. In very dim light it has to hunt some but with half way decent light it works very well and is very sharp. Outdoors I have never had any problems.

Michael Fontana

pro member
I like it very much, to me its kinda ideal lense for certain purposes.

I didn't noticed slow focussing, but I'm shooting from a tripod in virtual every shot, anyway. I use one-spot-AF all the time. AF is dead-on.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Barry,

I picked up an EF 100mm macro lens on Friday ...

original.jpg

Oh yeah, and no comments about the dust on the lens please....

Fair enough, but the Yashimar designation on the lens, its being in a Copal shutter, and a focal length of 80mm are real curiosities for an EF 100mm macro.

One other thing, when I put my flash (EX 580 II) on the camera, the flash shows the lens at 80mm not 105mm? Do you think this is normal ?

Yes that's normal. Setting the flash-head to a 105mm zoom setting is slightly on the narrow side for a 100mm lens, as far as the field of illumination/view is concerned on a Full-frame sensor. You can manually override the flash setting, to determine if it's objectionable for your situation.

Bart

Hi Barry,

Was the reason for your posting that picture a demonstration of an image you have taken with your 100mm Macro? (I think Doug got it wrong).

I think if you are used to an EF 300mm f/2.8L or EF 400mm f/4 DO, yes, then the macro will feel slow focusing, but in all other respects, I find it to be a phenomenally fast-focusing lens. By far the fastest focusing Macro in it's class.

I can only compare it to lenses I own, but (unless you are asking it to go from 28cm to infinity - a huge range) it focuses faster than EF 16-35L Mk1, MUCH faster than EF 50 f/1.2L, and on par with EF 200 f/2.8L. I find it to be a speed demon, truly being able to keep up with flying insects etc. as demonstrated so aptly by Bart.

Sadly, I think quality control on the non-optical aspects of this lens lag behind the L lenses - when I first got mine (brand new), the USM motor actually failed within a month. Canon replace it, and it's been one of my primary lenses since.

Optically speaking, this is a near-perfect lens. There is, to my eye, no difference in it's performance from f/2.8 to f/8. If the focusing does not feel blazingly fast to you, go and try another one in a store, or send it to Canon - it should be phenomenally fast. Once you really get into it, I can definitely recommend Canon's ring flash or Macro twin-lite.

Ray West

Hi Barry,

The speed of focussing may well depend on the available light, and the contrast of what it is focussing on. In the case illustrated, exactly what has the lens got to focus on? Before advice can be given, more precise information is required. This stuff is not magic, the af can't read your mind, neither can I.

So, which focus points were you using, and what were they over? If just the centre one and it was over the centre of the glass of the subject lens, exactly where is the contrast. and does it focus on the glass surface, or the gubbins behind it? Try some other subject.

Best wishes,

Ray

Alan T. Price

macro lenses are slower

Macro lenses are a bit like old fashioned mamual focus lenses in that full focus travel from infinity to closest involves a much greater angle of rotation than a modern AF lens allows or needs. This is a good thing in that it allows you to achieve finer focus adjustments but the downside is that it takes longer to move the focus lens group - whether or not you have a USM motor in the lens.

When you are focusing very close the the focus is very sensitive to distance and it is very very easy to lose focus unless you are using a tripod. Thats true of every close-focusing lens or lens/extension tube combo.

Go to a shop and ask to try their demo model to see iff it is different from yours.

- Alan

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Barry I use the 100 macro & yes relative to my other lenses it is slow to focus. Makes beautiful images though.
As far as slow is concerned.... my new 85 1.2L II meets the criteria. They reckon the latest version is fast compared to the first !!!!

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Barry

I have this lens and love it, it lives on my camera most of the time, I've used it extensively for flowers and insects in flight, I did find it difficult to use when I first got it, try shooting in strong daylight first to get used to it. I would say bear with it a little while and if you're still unhappy perhaps get it checked....

Madhu Tyagi

if it is USM version you are talking about then it is unusual. I am not sure about the older version but the newer USM version focuses fast.