• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8 officially announced

Hi guys,

Quite a while back there was some information on this (ridiculous!) upcoming lens, and it seems Sigma has now officially announced it.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08013101sigma250500.asp

Certainly, a 500mm lens at f/2.8 is quite amazing, but I have to ask, what is the market for this huge monster of a lens? I much prefer the "compact" Canon EF 1200mm f/5.6 as a walk-around lens :)

Does anybody have any further information on expected price, not to mention its optical performance? Who would be interested in such a lens? (over, say, a Canon 600mm f/4). This Sigma is, in my opinion, single-handedly the ugliest lens I have ever seen in my life. To make it worse, it seems to be provided in "cheap-plastic" green finish [have a look at the images] - I wonder if the buyer has other colour options?

Most fascinating indeed. If you'd like to see a youtube video (which illustrates the scale quite nicely) have a look here:

Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8 on Youtube

P.S. If the forum allowed the poster to embed HTML code, I could rather have embedded it directly in this post.

Johnny_Johnson

Wow, 35 pounds! Time to start looking for a sturdier tripod.

BTW, the color of the lens in the video appears to be black.

Later,
Johnny

BTW, the color of the lens in the video appears to be black.

Hi Johnny,

The video is from a year+ ago when they first announced it, it's a prototype (in Sigma's nice matte black finish, as per their other lenses). The green one in the linked DPReview articles is the real thing that will be on sale. I'd love to know why they decided to make it *that* green... Maybe the start of a new trend, like Canon's beige lenses?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
O.K., let's give it a gimbal mount and you have a sherpa to schlepp it. Now what would you use it for?

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
P.S. If the forum allowed the poster to embed HTML code, I could rather have embedded it directly in this post.

Hi David

a little OT, but as you asked…
implemanting html is a bit hazarduous on a public forum, but anyway it wouldn't have helped much as the video viewers have not been - yet - implemented in OPF.

On topic now

it seems there's a market for ulra long lenses see new ones also announced by Canon.

Maybe the improved quality of DSLRs allows for longer reach?…

John_Nevill

I've been trying to determine who this new Sigma is aimed at. As previously stated its pushing 16kg for a 1 stop advantage over the Canon or Nikon fixed 500s. I guess it will also cost significantly more!

There's also no IS and it needs its own power source, so it has to aimed at the Astro market. Put it on an equatorial mount and shoot some stars!

For wildlife, my (new) EF500 is heavy enough for carrying around all day and its hand-holdable...just!

Anyhow, what sort of DOF would one get at f2.8 on wildlife at a distance of say <15m at 500mm?

Anyhow, what sort of DOF would one get at f2.8 on wildlife at a distance of say <15m at 500mm?

I honestly don't see the case for this lens, over a smaller 500mm f/4 prime with IS. But, to answer your question - if the DOF I get with my Tokina 800mm f/8 at 17m (closest focusing distance!) is anything to go by, basically nothing! At 500mm wide open, this Sigma should get about half the DOF I have, and at 17m distance I literally have a couple of centimeters (like 2cm or so) that is in focus - incredibly difficult to manual focus and keep still.

I can see that astrophotography could be a target market for the Sigma (is this the new "Bigma"?) - but I have to ask, why not just get a high-quality, large-aperture telescope for that kind of money? One which is much more fun to look through than a camera viewfinder?

Steve Saunders

I still think sports shooters will be equipped with the Bigma for the Olympics, if Sigma can get them to the dealers in time. Imaging the bokeh with that beast. But 35lbs has to make this a very unwieldy beast for action, I can imaging monopods sinking into the ground at football matches in winter for a start. One of those wide motorcycle side-stand feet attachments might come in useful here.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
A rare beast…

B&H have one only for sale…

Canon Super Telephoto 1200mm f/5.6L EF USM Autofocus Lens

Mother7.jpg

for 99.000US$ only

but why is my banker running away?

more here

PS free advert!