• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Retouched and not...

Shane Carter

Two versions...what say ye?

Original

57490J4O5594.jpg

Retouched

57490J4O5594_1.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Shane,

I'm in Boston and working from my laptop and not my full system, so I'll have to get before a color profiled system to confirm my observations.

Your untouched image shows some posterization which could be just how my LCD screen is set up. Both cheeks and forehead have large patches of oversaturated skin.

Your files are correctly in sRGB, however, so it's not a colorspace mismatch.

If you are seeing the same thing, then I'd simply reprocess this form RAW and reduce the saturation a little. I do like the natural color of the original as the corrected one looks muddy in comparison. We've lost the dynamics of the subtle shades and hues of the skin.

The corrected picture is fine in iteself but lacks the vitality of the original.

In general, I like to make the best correction, put aside the project and then see how much of the original I can add back.

The subject is young and lovely. That spark of youth must never be compromized. Just ask if one can see the spark. If not, it's overprocessed!

Asher

Shane Carter

Shane,

I'm in Boston and working from my laptop and not my full system, so I'll have to get before a color profiled system to confirm my observations.

Your untouched image shows some posterization which could be just how my LCD screen is set up. Both cheeks and forehead have large patches of oversaturated skin.

Your files are correctly in sRGB, however, so it's not a colorspace mismatch.

If you are seeing the same thing, then I'd simply reprocess this form RAW and reduce the saturation a little. I do like the natural color of the original as the corrected one looks muddy in comparison. We've lost the dynamics of the subtle shades and hues of the skin.

The corrected picture is fine in iteself but lacks the vitality of the original.

In general, I like to make the best correction, put aside the project and then see how much of the original I can add back.

The subject is young and lovely. That spark of youth must never be compromized. Just ask if one can see the spark. If not, it's overprocessed!

Asher

Thanks Asher! It must be your monitor...I'm looking here and its fine. The skin tone is a little off in the second. I'll fix it later tonight and see what you think. I'll also lighten up on the smoothing a tad too. Will be interesting to get your opinion on that when posted.

Great point on the keeping the spark of youth, well said. I like to think of good photos as ones where the photographic elements do not, as you say, take away from the subject. Nearly all of my favorite photosgraphs are such that your attention is 100% on the object and the story behind it...and not drawn to any techincal aspect. Thanks for your comments! :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Shane,

Back at a 20" iMac, there's no posterization at all! I did check the extent of your retouch compared to the original. The magnifications are different but I liked the retouch when added to at most 19-30% to the original. That still keeps her young glow.

Asher

Shane Carter

Thanks Asher, for the heck of it, I pulled this out of my neice from Thanksgiving and gave it a 'moderate' retouching. Will re-do the original shot too later this week and post that too. :)

57490J4O6909.jpg