• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Is the APS-H sensor format history?

John_Nevill

Reading CNET's latest Q&A with Chuck Westfall, there's a definite undertone (or speculation on CNETs part) that APS-H size sensors found in 1DMkIII could indeed be the last model to use one.

Emerging pressure of FF sensors being exerted by Nikon and Sony in their latest models are likely to push Canon into the full frame arena for all 1 Series models.

Personally I think it would be a good move and reading between the lines (and speculating of course), a full frame 1DMkIV could here as early as 1st quarter 2009!

Last edited:

Steve Saunders

I can well believe this. With Canons main competitor Nikon now in the FF area, the battle is going to be FF from now on, at least in the pro DSLR market. Low noise on FF sensors is now a reality thanks to the D3 and also the 1DIII, just cramming more pixels onto a sensor isn't going t satisfy pros any more IMHO.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Saving my money until then

I won't be buying another camera - I love my 5d - until the next model comes out that is FF - the Mk3ds is a good camera but we need a 5d replacement with the features available on the 40d or Mk3d

Holding out to buy my next camera until then and still using my 20d for a backup camera.

I won't be buying another camera - I love my 5d - until the next model comes out that is FF - the Mk3ds is a good camera but we need a 5d replacement with the features available on the 40d or Mk3d

Holding out to buy my next camera until then and still using my 20d for a backup camera.

Hi Kathy,

Better start saving, my guess is we'll see something happening around Photokina 2008 (Sep/Oct).

Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

So, Kathy,

What do you think is on Canon's mind with the Sony 25 MP full frame coming out? What would you buy, a focus crippled (compared to 1DIII series) 16MP 5D Mark II or a weather-sealed Sony-Minolta full frame with 25MP and for $4,000 with on board camera shake reduction to take any previous Minolta lens and new Zeiss lenses?

The Sony is perhaps just 7-10 months away! If you can't wait, then 5D Mark II or 6D will be wonderful.

Especially with the focus for the 1DIII being still not totally cured, I see no major reason to replace my perfectly functioning 1DII with an expensive Canon APS-H which is already out of date! If I was going to get a replacement right now, I'd get the Nikon D3 and sell off all my Canon gear!

The extra speed in focus and low light capability of the D3 would be an advance and the price is within reach.

However, just for now, I'm holding!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
My bet's still on Canon

I've been a Canon shooter now for 7 years - sold all my Nikon stuff in 2001; My lens investment is sufficient enough to be patient. As I said, I do love the 5D and results; I have enough camera power to hold off a year if I do nothing; Maybe I will get a 40d to hold me over for a year until the bugs are out of the next generation 5d or I could end up with the next Mark3d...we will just have to wait and see; Thinking I could then turn the 20d into an infrared too.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I've no idea whether cropped sensors will continue to be offered in Canon's digital slr cameras. The answer, I suspect, lies primarily in the economics of semiconductor fabrication. Clearly there have been substantial developments made with respect to yields on larger sizes of sensors.

The more interesting story might lie in the broader market maneuvering during the coming year or two. The tsunami of digital photography, with its relatively pricey mid-range dslrs, has been propelled by a sea of easy consumer credit and home refinancing. This fuel is disappearing very quickly as I write this, as is job expansion in the U.S.. So I wonder if the next 3-5 years will bring a slowing of the low-to-mid range dslr market. Oly and Pentax certainly hope not, having just arrived to the party with new offerings in this range.

Conversely I believe that the upper range (i.e. high-end dslrs and medium format) may see quite a bit of jostling as Hassy, Sinar, Mamiya, PhaseOne, et.al. chase the high-end ad markets (propelled by desperation to increase sales of junk to shrinking middle-class wallets).

Steve Saunders

I think the next question for this thread should be "is the 4/3rd system doomed?" With DX/APS size sensors being fitted to many compacts now and high-ISO noise being effectively tackled on larger sensors I'm wondering if the 4/3 makers will be struggling to keep up. I know they have some really great fast aperture long lenses, but that isn't where the battle is right now. Low noise at high-ISO is where it's at and only Nikon and Canon (D3 and to a lesser extent the 1DMkIII) are delivering right now.
Much as I like the 4/3rds system, I always thought it was putting all the eggs in one basket and the life span would be only as long as it took for the competition to get around the current limitations such as noise, vignetting etc.