• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Kyeonghwa Fixing Her Hair

Marcus Peddle

A candid shot of my wife fixing her hair in the mirror. How could I improve this? In other words, what should I be watching for the next time I pop around the corner?

D300, AF 50mm F/1.8D, ISO 800, f2.8, 1/30 sec

p492690326-4.jpg

Shane Carter

Candid snaps are tough, here are a few things, maybe. :) Either crop the frame to horizontal or add more tilt. Try to get some emotion. One thing I've noticed over the years is that the best expressions often happen right after the photo-victim gets snapped. Either shock, or moderately ticked, or suprised, or a laugh...so shoot one, keep the camera up, and shoot a few more quickly.

I often do this for team/group shots to get them warmed up. I'll say 'look at the camera, on three, one, two..." then take the shot. This always gets lots of interesting expressions and reactions, especially for those of the female side of life. :) Keep shooting a few because those shots are great!

Then they are warmed up and you can shoot some more now that the first 'snap' is done.

Just some random thoughts. :)

Marcus Peddle

Thank you for the tips. Photographing people certainly isn't easy but I will take your advice. I like this kind of shot (people doing every day things) but it's something I need to keep trying until I get a great shot. We're a happy couple so I guess I have many years to perfect my technique. :)