• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Another recommendation please

Rachel Foster

Most folks know I'm on a tight budget for indulging my photography obsession..I mean hobby! Hobby! Moving on....what would you recommend for a budget conscious light meter? I'm finding shooting winter scenes particularly difficult to gauge (the snow glare throws everything off). Any help would be appreciated.

Nill Toulme

The very cheapest option is the meter you already have — the one in your camera. Just dial in some + exposure compensation. I think the general rule of thumb is about one stop for snow scenes, but experiment and see what works for you.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Rachel Foster

I"m having difficulty with that. It meters for way too bright and leaves most of the scene very dark. I was hoping an external would tide me over til I get better with using my camera's meter.

Do you have a spot metering mode in your camera, and can you set the exposure manually? You can learn a lot about metering this way.

The meter only sees middle gray, so if you are in spot mode and you point the spot at the snow, the snow will be gray. How do you make it white, but not featureless?--Increase exposure. How much? You're shooting digital and can look at the histogram in the field to decide how much is enough. Generally, shooting color digital or slide film, which act in similar ways at least for single exposures, I'd meter the brightest highlight that I wanted to show detail and open up about 1-2/3 stops from what the meter says. The shadows will fall where they fall.

Rachel Foster

I am PLEASED to announce I now know how to use my camera meter, understand what gray cards are for and...there is no stopping me now.

White balancing for any photo

I have discovered something that is a way of manually setting the white balance of a camera for the lighting of any setting. It seems a bit complicated at first, but try it, you may find it helpful. I made one of these about 8.5 by 11 inches and it fits in my camera bag so I can have it with me wherever I go.

Make a rectangle from four isosceles triangles, one black, one white and two 18% gray. Place the triangles on the sides and ends of the card with the gray ones at the long sides, the black and white at each end and the points meeting at the middle and the sides of each triangle touching the side of the adjacent triangle. The card should look like four triangles all touching and forming a rectangle of just three colors. This card is placed at the subject position, with the lighting as it will be for the photograph. Set your camera to manual white balance and take at least three (3) exposures, filling the viewfinder with the image of the card, and setting the white balance after each exposure. This sets your camera to recognize pure white, pure black and the neutral gray and should result in even exposure for all colors.

To verify that the camera is white balancing properly, check the histogram after each exposure and insure the spikes for the white and black sections (on my camera they are the end ones) are nearly equal in height and distance from the ends of the histogram. This may take a couple exposures to even out. When they are equidistant from the ends and equal height the camera is set. Take your photos and enjoy the balanced colors.

Alain Briot

pro member
Most folks know I'm on a tight budget for indulging my photography obsession..I mean hobby! Hobby!

I call it passion ;-) 10 years ago I had a customer ask me what were my hobbies. At the time I didn't have any (I was too busy making and selling my photographs). Now I have time for "hobbies" except that these non-photographic activities are really passions other than photography. I can't quite call them hobbies! I think that I have a terrible time doing anything without being passionate about it.

Just remembered, you may need to adjust the light position (if possible) or tweak the ISO, shutter speed or aperture to get the histogram even. My sincere appologies for omitting that little fact. The camera will not automatically adjust itslf.
Chuck